New 32 y/o Male - Please Help Me Interpret My Thyroid Lab Results

Hi Everyone,

I'm from the US so not sure if it's okay to post here but everyone seems so knowledgeable that I'd thought I'd give it a shot. I'm a 32 year old male and I have been suffering from a variety of symptoms that I suspect could be thyroid related. These are the major ones I want to fix:

Insomnia - I never have deep, restful sleep and often wake up during the night.

Total lack of emotion. I can't remember what being happy or excited or motivated feels like. I know I'm not depressed. I'm not sad I'm just completely apathetic.

Cold sensitivity/cold hands

Horrible brain fog. Its very hard to concentrate and focus on my work.

Fatigue - I have to will myself to work out (lifting) and rarely have the energy. I recover very slowly from exercise. I'm very exhausted by the end of the day but I still have issues sleeping even though my body feels so fatigued.

Low libido

I have Crohn's disease but these symptoms seem unrelated to the Crohns which is mostly under control. At first, I thought it could be low testosterone but I had that tested and it was in the 800's, so no issue there. I have had really low iron levels for a long time but I have been receiving infusions and have been at healthy iron levels for a few months now. I'm also making sure I eat at least 2500-3000 calories a day. Here are the lab results I ordered:

FREE T4 INDEX – 2.0 (Range: 1.4 - 3.8)

T3 REVERSE: 11 (Range 8-25 ng/dL)

T3 UPTAKE: 32% (Range: 22-35%)

T3, FREE: 3.4 (Range 2.3-4.2 pg/mL)

T3, TOTAL: 109 (Range 76-181 ng/dL)

T4, TOTAL: 6.2 (Range 4.5-12.0 mcg/dL)

T4, FREE: 0.9 (Range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL)

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES: <1 (Range < OR = 1 IU/mL)

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES: 2 (Range <9 IU/mL)

TSH: 1.56 (Range 0.40-4.50 mIU/L)

FOLATE, SERUM: 7.1 ng/mL (Normal >5.4)

VITAMIN B12: 637 (Range 200-1100 pg/mL)

VITAMIN D, 25-OH, TOTAL: 37 (Range 30-100 ng/mL)

They look pretty normal but I don't know too much about how to interpret these results. Free T4 and Reverse T3 seem low but I don't know what that means. Could I have a thyroid issue? I want to find out if I need to see a doctor who could treat me. I'm also wondering if there are more labs I should order. I appreciate any insight as to what is causing these horrible health issues.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Could be an Adrenal issue as symptoms are quite similar, I'd suggest getting a saliva test done to see if it's adrenal.

• They all seem fine except for your vit D. It would be a good idea to supplement that, I think. You need to take vit D3, and with that, a little vit K2 and magnesium. But, don't start them all at once. Leave a gap of two weeks between starting each one. :)

• T3 is the active thyroid hormone which controls the metabolism and therefore the symptoms. Your Free T3 is just above the mid-point of the normal range so you should not have hypothyroid symptoms.

As you are still having what appear to be hypothyroid symptoms, one possible cause is a genetic condition commonly known as Thyroid Hormone Resistance. It causes hypothyroid symptoms and requires very high T3 levels (often above the top of the normal range) in the body to overcome the resistance.

It could be the cause of your Crohn's disease. If there are other family members with fibromyalgia, CFS, ME, Coeliac Disease, MS, Heart Disease, thyroid or depression this would further support this.

You may also like...