TSH 10.3 borderline

I received this news from the doctor's surgery on Thursday but have yet to receive a print-out of all my test results (will collect tomorrow).

Have made an appointment with the doctor tomorrow to discuss the results as they are not proposing to do anything other than test again in three months time.

Should I push for further tests and have a trial on thyroxine?

24 Replies

• TSH of 10.3 isn't borderline, it's reached the magic number 10 that is required for starting Levo assuming that you have symptoms and are less than 80 years old.

From NICE guidelines cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroid... scroll down

"If TSH is greater than 10mU/L and FT4 is within the normal range

Start treatment (even if asymptomatic) with LT4 if aged 70 years or younger — see the section on Prescribing information for further information on initiation and titration of LT4.

In older people (especially those aged over 80 years) follow a 'watch and wait' strategy, generally avoiding hormonal treatment. If a decision is made to treat, prescribe LT4 and recheck TSH 2 months after starting and adjust the dose accordingly.

In asymptomatic people, observe and repeat thyroid function tests (TFTs) in 6 months."

Maybe print off the guidelines that includes the above and if your GP won't prescribe Levo suggest that if he won't follow the guidelines then you'd like a referral to an endocrinologist who will.

• Thank you SeasideSusie for all the information provided. It is much appreciated.

• no way is it borderline

what symptoms do you have ?

insist on tests for thyroid antibodies,free t4 and free t3

vit d3

the last 4 must all be halfway in their ranges otherwise your body cant even utilise the levothyroxine and convert it from t4 to t3

• Thanks reallyfedup.

Symptoms: have days where my body feels really old and achy; very lethargic some days and prone to cat nap in the afternoon, also waves of tiredness; felt anxious more days than not; menstral cycle has become slightly irregular and shortness of breath; 50% of the time I am colder than others and 50% warmer than others.

I will make note of the additional tests and ask for these tomorrow.

• my husband was well into myxodeama madness with a TSH of 2.9

daughter and grandaughters all diagnosed hypothyroid with tsh of 2.9

all of them were pretty ill

• your symptoms are clearly hypothyroid although swinging from hot to cold is unusual and could be thyroid nodules

your GP is very very wrong you need furthur investigations and tests

• I'm guessing you're not in UK or you went private?

I must have tested 10 times around the 5-8nmol over a 5 year period & only when I tested 11 for the 2nd time (+ me pushing it), did I get a "trial" on Thyroxine...

• @knackersyard

I'm in the UK and didn't go private.

I was with the doctor this morning armed with my notes - thanks guys!

We had a good look through the test results. The lab report does state "Consider T4 replacement when test persistently greater than 10".

He has prescribed 25mg Levothyroxine as I am beyond sub clinical due to all the symptoms.

Said that no indications of lacking ferritin, folate and vit b12 but would do test on vitamin ds. Might test for these any way if people on here recommend I should.

So here goes. Hope I don't get many side effects - especially the nausea which always hits me really bad.

• Well done Helena877 . Make sure you take your levo with water only on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after food, morning or nighttime whichever suits you, and keep away from any other medications/supplements by a couple of hours.

You will need retesting 6 weeks after starting Levo so make sure all future thyroid tests are done first thing in the morning at the earliest possible appointment, fast (water only from the night before) and leave Levo off for 24 hours - breakfast and Levo when you get home. Re-testing and increases in meds should be done every 6 weeks until you are optimally medicated and symptoms alleviated. The aim of a treated hypo patient is for TSH to be 1 or under or wherever necessary for FT4 and FT3 to be in the upper part of their ranges or wherever you feel well and symptoms improved.

No way can your GP say that there is no indication of you lacking ferritin, folate and B12. When I did my private vitamin and mineral tests I was severely deficient in Vit D, ferritin and folate both near the bottom of their ranges. I didn't have any indication or symptoms that were identifiable.

If your GP won't test them then you would be well advised to push or test privately. All your vits and mins need to be optimal for thyroid hormone to work. You are at the beginning of your thyroid journey, don't allow yourself to become another hypo patient who is kept ill by a GP who is ignorant of all the facts.

Arm yourself with knowledge, take a look at ThyroidUK's main website, start here thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/diagno... . You can tell your GP you have been to NHS Choices website and they recommend Thyroid UK as a source of information.

Come back and let us know how things are going. When you have any test results post them (with their reference ranges) and members can comment.

• Hi Helena877

I was referring to reallyfedup123, who seems to have had exceptional service!!!

Sadly, your experience is what we'd expect.

Glad to hear you're now getting treated. Keep reading the board. Check ALL your results. Just as you're now discovering that the NHS version of "borderline" for TSH is waaay out from other countries & expert opinion, so is B12 for example. You could be at 200nmol with hair falling out & they'd ignore it.

Also, the journey only begins now with the Levothyroxine. Getting your dose right. It may or may not do you any good...

Knowledge is Power!

Good luck!!

• NO .....all my lot are all in the UK all have Hashimotos and all diagnosed withb a TSH of 2.9 by doctors intelligent enough to do thyroid Antibody tests

and yes

vit d3

are vital because if their levels are below halfway in their ranges your body cannot utilise the levothyroxine

Theres research to prove that

just google scholar search using ferritin + hypothyroid etc and print off for your GP and educate him

If you have Hashimotos /autoimmune hypothyroid a tsh of over 5 must be recognised

only if its non autoimmune hypothyroid can they use the TSH 10 parameter

Either way you will have a mountain of symptoms and tissue damage which takes many months to reverse and you will have been becoming increasingly ill over a period of years

What other illnesses are in your family ?

Be sure to kick out all non stick coated /fluoride pans and any piece of aluminium or foil cookware

check with your wat supply company that they do not use either a form of Aluminium or Alum or fluoride to treat your water supply

On no account take antidepressants or PPis like omerprazole

Its likely you have low stomach acid and need to take betaine /pepsin with meals

• That Doctor of yours is very special! For every one like him, there's a thousand who aren't.

• nope not one but 4 different doctors all recognised hypothyroid

Even my cousin who was a GP said " Hypothyroid is easy to diagnose if you remember to think about it "

• Well that's fantastic to hear!!!!!!

It's not the norm though. If it was, forums like this wouldn't exist.

• I am well aware of how useless many GP s are hence why i havectried to help others for over 30 yrs

• I had an Aunt with lupus.

My father and sister have psoriasis.

My father has giant cell arteritis.

• your father and sister are likely Coeliac or at the least gluten intolerant

they probably has hashimotos antibodies too

Lupus is Autoimmune

As is Coeliac

and all are inherited

hence your GP is not only ignorant he is also negligent because any TSH over 5 in an auto immune family background must have auto antibody tests done

You need to go gluten free and so should your sister and father

• Be prepared to have Hashi worsened if you have one. And "When the hypothyroid condition is not adequately diagnosed and treated, more severe problems such as high cholesterol, cardiac issues, obesity, joint and muscle pain, gradual hearing loss, reproductive system disorders, depression, periodontal problems, carpal tunnel syndrome, sleep apnoea and diabetes will eventually appear" ( thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/TUK_PD... )

• I have booked with a private GP tomorrow pm who is going to test for the antibodies - can't remember the full range of what they're testing for...its all happening so fast.

Will check about the vitamin deficiencies too. I had a full blood check done and he said there was no indication of anaemia or diabetes. I specifically asked if I had Hashimoto's disease and he said "No". Who knows?.....

I am on anti-anxiety medication 10mg . The doctor said to carry on taking it. I have a prescription to up it to 20mg. Not sure it benefits me a great deal and having good days at the moment.

• I don't know if you know this, but you can do the blood tests you need privately without a doctor being involved. Involving a doctor adds an unnecessary expense.

Since you are getting vitamin D done by your doctor there is no reason to re-test it privately.

They are both the same price at the moment, but sometimes one or the other will have a special offer on.

If you ever want to do the same tests with vitamin D included then you need the following links instead :

If you know someone who can take blood for you then choose the vacutainer version of the test from Blue Horizon.

If you have to prick your fingers to get the blood, then choose the microtainer test. I think the Medichecks test is finger-prick only (but haven't checked thoroughly).

If you want more info on private testing without a doctor, just ask.

• Wow - thanks for that! The private GP had quoted me £270 for an all round thyroid check.

I can't thank everyone enough for all your help in this. I am truly thankful that information is passed on so others can benefit from

Your research and experience.

• If you want more info on the nitty-gritty of doing the test - the conditions, timing, days to do it etc - then read the long post I made in this thread :

• Hi

If you need private testing blue horizon are fabulous. It is £79 for the thyroid plus ten( you will have vit d so no extra expense) Thanks to thyroid uk it is so much cheaper. Just found out today you can go to any bmi private hospital for those people who wish to avoid the GP and a finger prick test. I found my fingers barely bleed so I will consider this for next time.

Good luck

• I've not started the Levo yet. I'm reluctant to start as I don't have many symptoms - really only the fatigue on an afternoon and feel like I ought to research first.

Will wait until I have the results of my tests from Blue Horizon.

I have an appointment with an endocrinologist at BMI Huddersfield later this month.

I'm taking vitamins b12, d3 and kelp in the meantime and going gluten free.

Have got the list of private GPs from Thyroid UK who will prescribe NDT...would prefer to try that first.

You may also like...