Thyroid Fatigue- how do you tell?

Not all fatigue or tiredness is due to thyroid malfunction, so how do you tell the difference?

Thyroid-related fatigue begins to appear when you cannot sustain energy long enough, especially when compared to a past level of fitness or ability. If your thyroid function is weak, sustaining energy output is difficult. You will notice you just don’t seem to have the energy to do the things you used to be able to do.

Thyroid energy is the the kind that enables you to walk distance carrying a light load. So if its exhausting walking home but you can run for a bus, your thyroid may well be telling you something.

Some of the common key symptoms of thyroid fatigue include:

Falling asleep as soon as you when you sit down and don’t have anything to do?

Feel like you don’t have the energy to exercise and sometimes even movement is a great task?

Wake with arms that are heavy and hard to move, you feel as though you are encased in lead clothes?

A heavy or tired head, especially in the afternoon, can hardly stop it from drooping?

You just don’t seem to have the energy to do the things you used to do. Where has the energy all gone?

Just keeping going on can be deeply exhausting? If your thyroid function is weak or compromised your energy may just seem to evaporate.

If you wake up with energy, maintain decent energy throughout the day, are able to maintain mental alertness/sharpness, have energy as needed to meet demands, and your muscles feel fit, you do not have thyroid-related fatigue. However, the more you do not feel like this, the greater chance there is a thyroid-related problem.

5 Replies

• Hi NaturopathR, I'm stuggling at the moment with all the symptoms of hypo but the Gp and Diabetes consultant/Endo dismiss it. My TSH has been up and down over the last 10yrs but stays within the range. I asked my diabetes consultant about patients who where being prescribed Levo what he expected their TSH to be. He replied 2. something, I told him no that's wrong, he stumbled then said hang on, while he checked on pc then said oh around 0.5. Then he told me to stop thinking Thyroid! thyroid! thyroid! he was quite annoyed. I'd asked him if I could have T3 Armour as my t3 is low and he did his nut, went mad saying it's dangerous and theres no way he would prescribe it. As I was diagnosed in April this year with CFS/ME he said I need to look into that and get referred to CFS clinic. I was diagnosed with Type 1Diabetes 10yrs ago after a 10 yr struggle with fatigue so I have been struggling for 20yrs.

• I WOULD make sure you have had your d3, ,b12 and ferritin serum tested hence it can also make you feel like this if you are low normal or son was exhausted all the time and it was bad diet, too much processed, not eating right, and all these deficiencies....

• After reading your post, this is when i would self treat. Do you have any thyroid labs at all? What kind of foods are you eating?

• Hi faith63, I've posted my lab results on previous posts. They show I have low T3 and my TSH is up and down. I have low Vit D and so I'm supplementing this. I take 5000iu every other day now. I also take daily B12 1000mcg / magnesium with B6/ Vit K 100mcg / selenium with multivits and iron and 5 HTP. I've cut out gluten and wheat. I feel a lot better now than I did before I changed my diet and started supplements. This was due to the help and support I got from everyone on this forum. Last year I couldn't think straight, talk or be bothered with anything, just getting up and walking upstairs would drain me. I was only awake for at the most 6 hrs a day. I started my new gluten /wheat free diet in December 15 plus started supplementing, come the end of February I was looking at returning to work. I returned to work in April on reduced hours. For the last 2 months I have worked full time but I'm thinking of reducing to 30 hrs which is more realistic as I get really fatigued and drained after 37.5. I am a nursing assistant on a critical care unit so it is none stop plus shift work which doesn't help.

Angel xxx

• It can be growth and cortisol hormones as well..thyroid can alter those too. All a very complicated mess to be in.

You may also like...