Help with blood test results please x


I recently requested hormone blood tests and be very grateful for someone to look at results/levels..a.maybe shed some light.

I only have half a thyroid (no defined cause either, presumed born with but I am not convinced due to unwellness only last five years).

Here goes..

Serum parathyroid hormone 3.2 pmo/L

Serum folate 4.5 ug/L abnormal.

Serum free t4 level = 13 pmol/L

FSH serum level =79 IU/L FSH

Serum prolactin level = 183 mU/L

Basophil count 0.1 10*9/L

Red blood cell (RBC) count = 4.85 10*12/L abnormal (& consistency abnormal over 2-3 years)

Also had previous in past low vita D but gp currently blocked by NHS to retest.

Both b12 was 338 Ng/L & folate dropped considerably over last three months.

Any light shed be so appreciated. Seeing gp tomorrow. Xx

3 Replies

  • Confused01,

    It's not possible to interpret most results only, you need to include the lab ref ranges (the figures in brackets after results).

    B12 338 is low in range but as it is within range NHS will not prescribe so you will need to buy methylcobalamin and self-supplement. If folate is below range your GP should prescribe folic acid or you can buy methylfolate and self-supplement. Don't supplement B12 until you are supplementing folic acid or methylfolate.


    I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

  • Thanks Clutter,

    It seems I am in the same battle as many with NHS on all this, particularly as I have other findings, atrophied thyroid, pituitary adenoma, pain chronic fatigue, gallbladder problems..goes on and on tut. Just getting pushed from pillar to post really. Major impact on my day to day life.

    I could possibly get a private thyroid specialist consultation but seriously wondering if be wasting my time.

    Sorry, to be despondent, I know I am not the only one eh.


  • Confused01,

    If you can obtain the ref ranges from your GP practice we may be able to help you.

You may also like...