Extra query - Hashimoto's?

Hi all,

In discussing my recent vitamin plans I discovered the following in my doctor's notes:

Test resultThyroid peroxidase antibody level Report, Abnormal, Make an appointment to see doctor

Coded entryThyroid peroxidase antibody level 48 iu/mL [< 100]

I have only ever had my TPOAb tested back in 2014 when we first looked at my thyroid. Here are my results from then:

TSH [0.2 - 4.0] 5 4.4

FT4 [10 - 20] 11.4 12.8

TPOAb [<100] - 48

Originally, looking at the range and my result I thought that I was fine. However when I've just gone back through my notes I spotted the comment where it says the result was abnormal.

Could that mean that I actually have Hashimoto's then?

I eat gluten free and have had episodes of other autoimmune disease noted - like Raynaud's, and there has been pernicious anaemia in my family history...

Thank you!

1 Reply

• Queenmabro,

TPOab 48 is not abnormal if the range is <100. Abnormal would be >100. TPOab 48 is negative for Hashimoto's but isn't conclusive as thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb) are sometimes positive for Hashi's when TPOab is negative.

If you already eat gluten-free I don't think there is any point in paying for a private TgAb test as having a confirmed diagnosis won't change the treatment you get.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

You may also like...