Ldn and/or thyroid peeps, any thoughts? Ldn capsules vs liquid?

Any thoughts on what has happened here and why? My tsh has shot up between Feb and Aug and the only change I can think of that might have made a difference is that I now take ldn capsules instead of liquid. I'm back and forth travelling and I kept leaving it in fridges so I swapped to the capsules.

Since starting ldn my levo has been reduced. I suspected it was the ldn somehow facilitating the thyroid meds and the tests checked out so I didn't mind reducing. I haven't felt really well in about two years so I thought it was worth a try in case being on more meds was making me feel not so great.

My last results, in Feb, were v good, tsh low/suppressed and t3 high in range. Gp was satisfied that if the t3 was in range I could remain on my dose. Now this summer I feel really pretty pants so I up the dose experimentally, taking 75/50 levo and 10 t3. Eventually up it again to 75 (same t3).

Gp ordered a tft as part of my meds review and hey presto, my tsh is over 5 and everything else looks a little fair to middling. (Apologies, I don't have the actual test results from Feb but I did check them myself at the time and they looked ideal to me.)

This is Aug 16:

TSH 5.17 (0.34 - 5.6)

FT4 8.3 (7.5 - 21.1)

FT3 5.4 (3.8 - 6.8)

To be fair, my tsh is usually v low and t3 good (maybe around 6) and now tsh v high but t3 still not bad. Wth?

All suggestions welcomed.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • PB,

I think you'll either need to see whether reverting to liquid LDN improves thyroid function or increase thyroid medication dose if you intend to continue with the LDN tablets.

• Thanks Clutter, that would be the experiment which would show exactly what's going on I guess, but the problem with that is that I need to not be so undermedicated asap. Every day I'm losing more hair and I feel dreadful.

And I'm concerned that if the ldn isn't improving my thyroid function, what is it doing if anything?

I think I'll write to the pharmacy to see what they say.

I suspect most people are taking the liquid which I guess means there isn't much to say about the caps. They are just the powdered ldn in a capsule as opposed to in a linctus, so I find it hard to understand how they would work differently.

• PB,

In that case you should increase your Levothyroxine dose by 25mcg and retest in 6-8 weeks.

Perhaps liquid LDN is better absorbed than the powdered capsules.

• Yes thanks, I did the increase two weeks ago.

You may also like...