Results opinions, please

Some long awaited blood results.

GP did FBC when I asked about iron / anaemia, as ferritin has been low since at least May at 14 (20-150).

Haemoglobin concentration 139 (115 - 165)

Mean cell haemoglobin level 29 (27 - 32)

Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 334 (320 - 360)

Red blood cell distribution width 15.5 (12 - 15)

Haemotocrit 0.415 l/l (0.37 - 0.47)

Total white blood count 4 10*9/L (4 - 11).

Platelet count 234 10*9/L (140 - 400)

(any ideas of what 10*9/L means?)

Mean cell volume 87 fL (83-100)

Neutrophil count2.4 10*9/L (2 - 7.5)

Lymphocyte count1.2 10*9/L (1.5 - 4)

Monocyte count – observation 0.5 10*9L (0.2 – 0.8)

Eosinophil count – observation0.110*9L (0.0 – 0.4)

Basophil count0.010*9L (0.0 – 0.1)

Nucleated red blood cell count 0.010*9L

TPO 104 (0.0 – 34) = No change since May, despite doubling Levo to 50mcg.

I was told by surgery that this is borderline, and want to repeat it….

Coeliac screen

IgA tTg anti bodies 1.2 IU/ml (Normal below 7).

Lab Comment: “Coeliac diseae highly unlikely if individuals have been on a diet containing adequate gluten (eg 4 slices of bread daily) for 6 weeks prior to test.

If stong clinical suspicion of celiac disease and in patients with IgA deficiency, suggest referral to gastro”.

I don’t eat 4 slices of bread daily, so any ideas how to interpret all this into English, please?

What does it mean to be IgA deficienty?

Does it all mean I’m anaemic, seriously ill, or not a lot wrong?

Basal temp is usually 36.4, but I did achieve record high of 36.9 this week with aid of 4 duvets and hot water bottle.

Any suggestions as to my next move, please?

4 Replies

• Greenwall,

TPO 104 is positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. 100% gluten-free diet may improve symptoms and reduce antibodies. Levothyroxine will usually not reduce antibodies unless dose is sufficient to suppress TSH <0.1.

Possible causes for low lymphocytes

Other FBC results are within range.

As long as you were eating gluten in meals once a day your result means you are negative for coeliac disease.

IgA deficiency

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter for reply and links to further reading.

I've just had a chat with new GP, who lectured me that if if TSH is normal then blah blah blah. Told him I disagreed and why. He was pleased I'd researched and read stuff, but that didn't change his mind.... Eventually admitted that labs don't do T4 if TSH is "normal" cos of ££££££. ie £ is more important than health, even though I know this is false economy.

Despite this disagreement, he's still willing to see me !!! So I will go armed with articles that support my stance.

I discovered that my iron level is 8 (12 - 300), so doc is willing to prescribe a boost, as he says that could account for low basal temp, but doesn't take that into account when considering a diagnosis..... I just hope he'll agree to prescribing the ferrous fumerate recommended by several forum users.

So now to prepare my long list of questions ready for appt....

• Being negative for coeliac, doesn't mean you are negative for gluten intolerance. Coeliac is just one "variety" of gluten intolerance, that is easy to test for as they can look for coeliac antibodies.

Many with Hashimoto's find going gluten free significantly reduces symptoms (myself included) .

• Thanks SlowDragon. I've read this many times here, and I'm slowing reducing it as I find alternative food.

You may also like...