Can anyone help with my tests results please?

Hello all,

I had half my thyroid removed over ten years ago & have struggled ever since with extreme tiredness, acid reflux, low ferritin, constant infections etc. After another bout of flu followed by chest infection this summer, I had blood tests done after I requested them.

Results as follows:

Serum Free T4 12 pmol/L (10-22)

Serum TSH 1.8 mu/L (0.3 - 5.5)

Serum TIBL 46.5 umol/L (45-72)

Transferryn Sat index 41%

I would welcome anyone's comments about the results as I can't get an appointment to discuss anything with a doctor as most of our GPs have left. I know a lot of you have a good understanding of test results, so here's hoping!

Thanks in advance,

4 Replies

• Hi Jillyana

I'm sorry you are still feeling rough after all those years of illhealth and really no further forward yet.

Re your blood tests - did you have the earliest possible appointment and not eat before it. Did you allow 24 hours between your dose of levo and the test? This allows the TSH to remain higher as GPs appear to only take notice of the TSH which is from the pituitary gland.

Your FT4 is so very low, I don't think it could convert to sufficient T3 which is the active hormone required in all of our receptor cells. This is an excerpt from our website:

FT4 = FREE T4

Thyroid hormones not bound to proteins. FT4 lowers when the thyroid is struggling.

The approx. reference range for this test is 10 to 24

FT3 = FREE T3

T4 converts to T3 and is the only thyroid hormone actually used by the body's cells.

The approx. reference range for Free T3 is 4 to 8.3

We at Thyroid UK believe that you need to know your Free T3 level too because this will often show low if you are not converting, and high if you have blocked receptor cells. Even if you are converting, the body needs the extra T3 that a normal thyroid produces.

There has been some research to show that people feel better on a mixture of Thyroxine (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3). Effects of Thyroxine as Compared with Thyroxine plus Triiodothyronine in patients with hypothyroidism – The New England Journal of Medicine Feb.11, 99 Vol. 340."

You will see the ref to FT4 above - quote "FT4 lowers when the thyroid is struggling." so I would say you are 'struggling'.

Hypothyroid causes, mainly, low acid rather than high but as the symptoms are so similar we are apt to be given a prescription for 'antacids' which lowers our acid even more.

Many of us have found the benefit of taking a good 'Apple Cider Vinegar with 'mother' mixed either with water or juice.

I myself take Betaine with Pepsin tablets with each meal containing protein or if my stomach is 'out of sorts) at times I use ACV.

Others will respond re your other tests.

• Thank you so much for your swift reply.

I've never been allowed to have any thyroid meds. - doctors say I don't need them, so I struggle on alone over the years. I do take nutri-thyroid which seemed to higher my free T4 for a couple of years. I take 5 of those a day out of desperation.

Thanks very much for your help,

• That's the response of many doctors who are tied to the BTA guidelines, i.e. don't prescribe until TSH is 10.

Unfortunately for us, the doctors who used to be trained in clinical symptoms plus Natural Dessicated Thyroid Hormones treated us but were then prevented when new guidelines were produced.

One doctor, now deceased, was horrified as he was getting the 'left-overs' i.e. undiagnosed/unmedicated and when he appeared before the GMC (no complaints by patients but by..........) 2,500 had given testimonials that he saved their lives.

If you can afford a private Free T3 blood test I'd advise one as we cannot function without T3. TUK have recommended labs and you get a small discount if you quote the Code No.

Also many members self-medicate with NDT sourced online and for info you'd have to put up a new Post asking for a Private Message to be sent to you as nothing is permitted on the open forum.

On the following link click on left/hand side and Testing and follow topics.

This is another website and that doctor has also died through an accident, and is also missed immensely. He wrote an article on the 'Tyranny of the TSH' and we have to read and learn in order to recover our health DESPITE the guidelines. (some topics might not work as the site is now archived.

• Thank you very much for the information - I will try & absorb it through the brain fog!

You may also like...