allergen status of Uni-Pharma T3

Since there has been excitement recently about the gluten status of Cytomel, I wanted to find out what is in the Uni-Pharma T3. I had to ask their website for an ingredient list, since that is not readable from the product photos on their web. The results received from them:

>T3 Uni Pharma ingredients:

>Liothyronine Sodium 25 mcg

>Excipients: Lactose Monohydrate, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Magnesium Strearate, Talc >Purified, Gelatine, Starch Maize, Silicon Dioxide Colloidal and as coloring - Egg Yellow >Lake.

>T3 Uni Pharma is gluten free since Starch Maize is corn based and Sodium Starch Glycolate is derived from potatoes.

So it appears that the product is free of gluten from wheat/barley/rye. However, the presence of corn and lactose in the product could cause problems for some patients with multiple sensitivities. There was a post here from a patient who used the product and said she felt like she had been gluten-ed; my conclusion about that is that she is likely lactose-sensitive, since the gut degradation caused by gluten can also cause lactose sensitivity.

5 Replies

• I posted this list of ingredients just the other day :-)

• May I suggest you goto the Uni-Pharma website and tell them to do a better job of making the ingredient list visible? These thyroid hormone companies appear not to be focusing on meeting patients' need for low-allergen products. I did suggest to Pfizer that their product would be better if they used tapioca and potato starch, but these companies are reluctant to spend anything on product improvement.

• I actually live in Greece and use Uni-Pharma T3. Our wonderful Greek dog uses Uni-Pharma T4 - so I just read the ingredients from the box. Sorry cannot be anymore scientific than that :-)

• I think that it is likely that if they change ingredients they have to go through very expensive retesting before being prescribable.

• Cytomel is the brand name of brand of liothyronine sodium

I was provided with the following for Cytomel:-

Each round, white to off-white Cytomel (liothyronine sodium) tablet contains liothyronine sodium equivalent to liothyronine as follows: 5 mcg debossed KPI and 115; 25 mcg scored and debossed KPI and 116; 50 mcg scored and debossed KPI and 117. Inactive ingredients consist of calcium sulfate, gelatin, corn starch, stearic acid, sucrose and talc.

You may find the following links useful for the excipients (ie Inactive ingredients)

Armour vs. Other Brands (NDT, T3, etc) :-

Generic drugs can be produced from many manufacturers and not all manufacturers use the same fillers or excipients. When there is a generic drug listed the manufacturer will be in the parenthesis. This does not imply that these are the only gluten free manufacturers but that these were the only ones checked.

You may also like...