Help with test results

Hi, I've just had my second round of blood test since diagnosed with hypothyroidism last summer. I've been told that they are all normal and no further action needed but I still don't feel great ( tired, dry skin, dark under eyes, not getting rid of excess weight, very heavy periods etc. ) and would appreciate some help interpreting my results.

TSH 1.63 ( 0.35-5.50)

T4 17.1 ( 10-22.70)

T3 5.1 ( 3.50-6.50)

Another thing that came out of this test is that my total white blood count is 11 ( 4.00-11.00) can this be linked to me being hypo?

Other questionable results were

B12 389 ( 190.00- 900.00)

Folate 3.8 ( 2.00-14.50)

Ferritin 51 ( 10.00-291.00)

All very confusing so would appreciate any advice. I'm currently on 50 mcg of levothyroxine.

Thanks!!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • NorthLondonMummy, FT4 and FT3 are good but there is scope for a dose increase to raise them and reduce TSH. Most people will feel well with TSH just under 1.0 with FT4 and FT3 in the upper range. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk if you would like a copy of the Pulse article to show your GP.

I don't think WBC has anything to do with thyroid function.

B12 is low in range, PA Society recommend 1,000 is optimal. Supplement 1,000mcg methylcobalamin and take a B Complex vitamin to improve folate and keep the other B vitamins balanced.

Ferritin is optimal half way through range. Supplement iron and take each tablet with 500mg-1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation. Take iron 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Brilliant Clutter, thanks ever so much for the response! I've ordered the vitamins and will look into the Pulse article.

You may also like...