T4 without the gluten,wheat, lactose or other grain bulking agent

I am in the UK and current on Levothyroxine 100mg actavis since 2010, but notice that despite being on a strict diet that contains no gluten,wheat, grains or lactose (all of which I am really sensitive to, on the advice of gastroent. and dietitian) since 2009 my thyroxine contains lactose. This has been a huge issue for me as I am far from well and my gut is really troubled. I have been wondering why all this work on my diet has not had the effects that it should! And all the time I have been having lactose daily. So my question is how do I obtain a lactose and truly gluten-free version of the T4 on the NHS? I have real tested sensitivities to these items so this is not some lightly held belief. Will the NHS cover this as I am struggling to cope financially as it is; I have not worked since I became seriously ill in 2008. Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Look at this page from ThyroidUK website

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatm...

click on the purple bars to expand them.

It looks as if all UK tablet levo contain lactose, but the liquids don't.

Further down there's a couple of European Lactose Free listed.

Can you get a prescription for any of these, maybe on 'named patient' basis?

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/treatm...

The ThyroidUK website is really useful, so have a good look round it.

Hope you can get something helpful.

• Thanks for that. Will get a letter to my Gp but I don't imagine that this will be a swift process.

• Tried the letter and reason route but no joy - they wouldn't even put me forward for the named patient route ans the 'lactose content is very low and therefore not going to cause problems'. Hmmmmm!

You may also like...