Ordered my first T3! How to take it?

i finally did it, I decided to end my agony on thyroxine and I ordered t3 myself. I am so excited, I am fed up of being fat, tired and in pain. I don't want to be a mess any more. Hope t3 will work for me, but how to take it? I am on 200 mcg of thyroxine now, so how to start? Please advise. My last results (from October) were: tsh 5.2 (0.6-6), ft4 1.4 (0.8-1.8), ft3 0.3 (0.2-0.5). Thanks!

32 Replies

• I assume your tablets are 25mcg of T3 which is roughly around 75mcg to 100mcg levo so I would start with 1 tablet, taking pulse/temp before you begin so you have a record and both help when you are introducing any thyroid hormones initially. Also levo has along half life and takes some time to leave your system.

After 1 week I would increase by 1/4 tablet and a week later add another 1/4 and so on until you feel well. If at anytime your pulse is too fast or temp high reduce back to the previous dose.

"I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions"

I wish you well.

• Yes tablets I ordered are 25 mcg, they are Unipharma. Should I take all at once or divided? Also do I take t3 in the morning? Thanks.

• can you please tell me where did you order Uni Pharma T3?

• Any information always has to be by a private message. No info re prescribed medication can be put on the main forum it is against guideline NO.23.

• Yes, I understood, I won't write any info on this post but by private message.

• To send a private message, you click on the person's name and it will take you to another page which is private between those named.

• Hi zuzu2. I will send it to you right now.

• Thank you.

• I don't divide mine. I take one whole dose first thing and wait about an hour. The purpose of T3 is to saturate all of our receptor cells which it does reasonably quickly, thereafter the work of T3 continues for between 1 to 3 days for that one dose. You also have a life and can forget about illness.

• Thank you. I think I'll do the same, take all of t3 in the morning.

• I take 10 mg lio and 150 levo. Take 5 in morning with levo and 5 in the afternoon so if I can take all in morning it would be much easier with my supplements. Would that work as well?

• Yes, Gerald it's fine to take all of your hormones together. It is much more convenient rather than splitting.

10mcg of T3 is quite small in relevance to your 150mcg levo. 10mcg of T3 is equal in effect to 30mcg of levo.

This is a link to an article which I've found very interesting and refers to the whole T3/T4 saga.

• Thank you so much, I will read it. I`ve read a lot of Mary Shomon before I joined HealthUnlocked. A lot is how one feels.

• Good for you, food. You are taking responsibility for yourself and that is what we should ALL do from the very beginning but many people are afraid. What is your plan? Are you hoping to take both T4 and T3 in some combination or are you wanting to switch over to T3 only?

Shaws is right about the increase and you have room to improve all your numbers. How long have you been on 200 mcgs., would it be since Octobr? It looks like your T4 is not converting quite as well as it should. You will definitely be increasing if you take 25 mcgs. of your T3. Would you normally have increased your T4 by 100 mcg at this point? If so, I guess you could go ahead with what Shyaws suggests.

• Hi. I still don't know should I first take take both thyroxine and t3 or go straight to t3? I've been on the same 200 mcg of thyroxine for 2 years and I feel so bad, my doctor said I am imagining things. I put 20 pounds. Don't know what would be the best way for me. I hate thyroxine, do I really need it at all?

• To me, it just looks like you need an increase of SOMETHING. I don't know where Bradley got her advice but it might work for you. All those split doses though I don't believe are necessary even though T3 has a short half life, it's not that short. But you can go to her profile page and follow her last six or seven posts to see what she went through.

I think you might have gone to NDT first because I don't think your results look like your body hates T4. NDT has both T4 and T3 but after you try T3 and when the sunthetic thyroxine is out of your system you may want to try NDT. Personally, it's only because what your body was more used to was natural T4, T3, T2, T1 and the important, calcitonin.

It will take about three days before you notice the effect of the T3

• The more I reduced levo and increased T3 the better I became.

• Yes I think I don't need any more of t4, it makes me feel even worse.

• Seeing you are a bit unsure of whether or not you want to go T3 only or add T3 to T4. What you can do first is drop 100mcg of T4 and add your T3 tablet. Your doctor doesn't understand how it feels when you tell him you feel 'so bad' - I definitely do. I did find the benefit at first of adding some T3 and I was on a much lower dose than you. See how you get on with that - taking temp/pulse, I had been going to A&E with severe palps frequently when on levo haven't visited a hospital since T3 was added.

• Thank you Shaws. Yes, I think it's the best way. You know, I'm just starting, don't know what would be the best way for me to start. The way you explained makes it so much easier for me. I'll do that and after will see what to do next. Thanks.

• Hi, ween yourself off Levo slowly, decrease by 25mg every week until you are completely off it, it'll still remain in your system for around 12 weeks after you have finished taking it. Start by taking 10mg of t3 and increase that weekly inline with decreasing your Levo. I take 3 split doses of t3, one dose of 30mg on waking, 20-30mg at 12:00 (depending on time of month) and 10mg at 5pm, people tend to need around 40-70mg of t3 daily. Get a blood pressure machine and record BP, pulse and temperature when taking t3 - you'll know when your overdosing as these measures won't be normal, you'll soon get the hang of it. When your at the right dose, you can decrease doing the measurements so often.

Hope you feel better soon

• Thank you so much Bradleyeb. Do you feel better when you split doses of t3? So I have to do it slowly? I already have blood pressure machine, how often do I have to measure by BP, pulse and temperature?

• Take your pulse/temp initially till you get to dose you feel well on. I only take pulse/temp occasionally now

This is from an expert (doctor and scientist) who took his 150mcg dose of T3 in the middle of the night and his patients only took NDT or T3. This is his recommendation:-

Third, the leaflet on Cytomel pharmacies give patients when they fill their prescriptions states, "POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS: NO COMMON SIDE EFFECTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED with proper use of this medication." This information is accurate—when plain, full-strength, one-time-per-day doses of T3 are used properly, there are no adverse effects. The only adverse effects occur when a patient takes a dosage that for her is excessive. With Cytomel, if overstimulation occurs, it can be stopped with one or two small doses of propranolol. Or the patient can simply reduce her dosage of Cytomel the next time she takes it. I want to emphasize, however, that when our protocol is used properly, there is no overstimulation to be avoided by using timed-release T3. The protocol has safeguards against adverse effects

And finally, why do I specify that the typical patient use one full dose of non-timed-release Cytomel for life? Because extensive testing has shown that this is safe, effective, and most economical—when used within the context of our entire protocol.

As a result, a single dose of T3 will be long gone from the patient's system before he or she experiences most of the benefits of that dose—a molecular and metabolic yield that may smoothly spread out over one to three days. The "rocky road" ( August 7, 2001

• Thank you for explaining!

• Yes take it slowly, your body will react better if its introduced slowly. I took it in 10 mg increases weekly and did fine on it. Feel much better than on Levo, no aches or pains, no brain fog, no lack of concentration, no mood swings (other than normal hormonal ones), hair is getting thicker .... The list is endless!

Take BP, pulse and temperature before and after taking meds. If all needs are consistently low or slow, you'll need an increase, too much or too fast then it might be too much or body just needs stabilising, you'll get to know once you've done it a few times. I now know when I need my meds, feel cold and got tired quickly without taking my temp/BP or pulse.

If you are struggling, send me a PM and I'll try to help

Good luck x

• Thank you. I ordered 25 mcg pills so can't cut them in 10 mcg, is cutting them in half okay?

• Yeah get a good pill cutter and cut them in half, think you can quarter them as well but the tablets are pretty small so I don't do that but others do. If some are smaller than half, don't worry, it all averages out eventually (I.e. Don't get throwing anyway if they don't cut exactly in half)

• Iv`e been taking 150mg levo plus 10mg lio in two 5mg doses. I don`t have a thyroid anymore. If I could take the lio in one dose with my levo it would be easier to work in my supplements of calcium, iron, magnesium and others. Having a bit of a problem with my iron but feel good. Had two parathyroids removed also.

• You'll be fine Food_ie, you'll see once you start with T3 your life will change, for the better of course. Doctors don't understand that, it's not their life so they simply don't care.

• Thank you Sofitel. Doctors are selfish idiots, they don't care about anyone. I desperately want my life to change. I can't live like this no more. Fingers crossed.

• Good, it's always a plus to think positive.

• I am thinking positive x

You may also like...