Want to get better

I am new here, I take thyroxine for 2 years as I am hypo. I gained 20 pounds on it, I can't live like this no more. I want to get better, I am in constant pain, i look bad, I am miserable. Sorry for my confusion. I was reading about t3, I want to get it but I don't have prescription. Also I don't know how to take it. Should I take both thyroxine and t3? I take 200 mcg now. Thanks

Last edited by

11 Replies

• Welcome to the forum, Food_ie.

If you post your recent thyroid results and ranges (figures in brackets after results) members will be able to advise whether you are optimally medicated on 200mcg or whether adding T3 may be helpful.

If you have had ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate tested please include the results and ranges.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you. I don't have any recent results, last are from October I think. I have to find them, put them somewhere but my house is in mess, I am always too tired to do anything. And I can't remember where I put things.

• It does sound as though your medication is not working for you. Try to find those results - October is fine. Otherwise you could phone your surgery and get them to give you the results over the phone, or another printout. We are entitled to our test results.

• Thank you, I found them! tsh 5.2 (0.6-6), ft4 1.4 (0.8-1.8), ft3 0.3 (0.2-0.5)

• Food_ie I am not expert in reading results, but I can't see any harm in trying T3, as you wanted. You are obviously not well on Levothyroxine, so when things are not going well on some medication the only other thing we can try is something new.

• thank you. I have to change something, can't stay like this, that's why I want to try t3

• I see that you already took things in your own hands. Wish you all the best.

• You poor thing! Your TSH is far too high - most people who feel well have a TSH around 1. And your T3 reflects this because to feel right, you need it towards the top of the range.

How do you take your tablets? If you don't already, try taking them when you wake up, and then wait an hour before eating or drinking anything but water.

You need to give that a few weeks to see if that makes a difference.

Then before you start on the road of self medication etc I would just go back to your doctor and ask for an increase in your dose, because there is definitely room for you to increase, without your TSH becoming too low.

• Thanks for your support. My doctor keeps on the same dose, he doesn't want to change anything, when I complained that I am tired and in pain and that I can't think straight he said to me that I am imagining things and that my results are fine. For my weight he said that it is not the drug and that I am on the right treatment but that I probably eat too much. I have to do something, I can't live like this any longer.

• Well, I am not a doctor, and I don't like to encourage people to self-medicate, BUT it is probably your only option, other than to go privately to one of the few private doctors that will prescribe on symptoms.

In your position I would probably go for NDT(I would say that, its what I take). If you can get on with one of the three Thai brands its pretty cheap, and contains both T3 and T4 in roughly the same ratio as we produce it ourselves (not exactly the same though).

You should back up any self medication with testing - private testing via Blue Horizon is probably the easiest. There is LOTS of information on this board about testing and the levels that are probably going to be ideal for you.

• Thank you. I did it, I ordered my first T3 today! If i understood correctly NDT is both t4 and t3 but I am already on thyroxine I don't need more t4. I think t4 is making me unwell, before t4 I was much better and I wasn't so fat like I am now.

You may also like...