Liothyronine and ranitidine

I am currently taking 75mcg levothyroxine and 2x 10 mcg of liothyronine. I pregnant and suffering from reflux so have been prescribed ranitidine to help manage the acid. I am also taking two kinds of anti-emetics as I have been suffering from severe nausea and vomiting.

Can anyone help me with the timings?

I take levo/ liothyronine around 6am along with the anti emetics

I've been taking ranitidine at aroun 8am.

I take second does if liothyronine at 2ish along with second does of anti emetics

Finally I take a pregnancy vitamin with dinner and the second ranitidine at 18:00.

Do I need an bigger gap between my thyroid meds and ranitidine? I feel exhausted but am having a very difficult pregnancy so that isn't too surprising.

4 Replies

• Tealtension, Congratulations on your pregnancy but I am sorry you are feeling so sick.

2 hours between Ranitidine and thyroid meds should be enough. If you can, leave 2 hours between the anti-emetic and thyroid meds too.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you

• Hi Tealtension, have you tried eating smaller regular meals, cutting down on anything fatty? Have you tried having extra pillows to sleep more upright? Pregnancy sickness is horrible, I really sympathise, I had it all the way through with 4 pregnancies. Not sure what antiemetic you're on but what worked well for me was Avomine. Have you tried sipping skimmed milk for acid reflux?

I was on a similar antihistamine, cimetidine, for 13 years, my pharmacist told me it affected thyroid med absorption. I take it for a bladder disease, but I have weaned myself off it now and increased the other drug I take for my bladder. I got very anaemic and low vitamin B 12 on cimetidine, but I was on it for a very long time. The good thing about ranitidine is it doesn't hang around in your liver and alter enzymes.

• I'm on stemitil and ondansatron for hyperemesis. I am far to nauseous to eat much other than crackers and toast so sipping milk is a no-go. I'm hopeful I get some respite soon as I'm 19 weeks.

You may also like...