Hypothyroid causes other than Hashi?

Hi all!

Pretty straight-forward question really. I've been doing my research online and found that the vast majority of those diagnosed have Hashimoto's, but what are other causes that may lead to an underactive thyroid?

I'm interested as I tested negative and would like to know the root cause, although I've had two GP's rather rudely tell me "you suffer from hypothyroidism and that's what we're going to treat". My Doctor's really aren't big fans of patients taking an interest in their own health from what I've gathered...

Cheers!

Matt

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Mattioso, 90% of hypothyroidism is caused by autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). The other 10% is caused by thyroidectomy, RAI, drugs like Lithium and Amiodorone (may reverse if the drugs are discontinued), and idiopathic (unknown).

    _______________________________________________________________________________

    I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

  • Matt, I had the same response - we don't care what the cause is as the treatment is the same!

    Worldwide the most prevalent cause I believe is iodine deficiency but here in the UK this isn't considered a possible risk as we are not deemed to be iodine deficient here. However some would disagree based on latest research.

  • Hi Bob's owner!

    Thanks for getting back to me! I began googling the iodine & hypo link and it does come up a startling amount considering no Doctor has ever mentioned it to me.

    I've bought a supplement for it with really good reviews so I'll see how it goes, thank you

You may also like...