Optimum results

I've been on Levo for 7 weeks, 25mcg each morning. I requested more blood tests and had them last week. i asked for full thyroid test, T3, B12, Vit D, antibodies and FSH to see if I'm menopausal.

I get the results from my doctor tomorrow. I'd like to go in armed with knowledge of what results are normal/ typical for a healthy person. So I can look through them with the doctor as it takes a wait of about 6 weeks to get to see this particular one. Can anyone help please?

2 Replies

• What you're looking for are results that are optimised, rather than simply within the normal range.

So ideally, your TSH should be below 1.0 (once you've started Levo). FT3 should be in the upper quartile of the range (if they've tested it - they may not have, as in practice the labs decide if they're going to test it), FT4 should also be in the upper quartile of the normal range. B12 should be at least halfway up its range - 500+.

I'm not sure about Vit D as the ranges can vary a lot depending on which lab tested it but usually the result will say whether you're deficient or not (hint - "insufficient" still needs treating). It should be fairly clear whether antibodies are present or not - their very existence hints at autoimmune thyroiditis. And FSH norms depend where in your menstrual cycle you are - again, there should be a guide to this on the results.

Good luck - hope the appointment goes well. 25mcg is a teeny tiny dose of Levo, so at the very least I would expect you should have an increase to 50mcg, even without seeing any results.

• Diyena, Blood test results anywhere within range are considered normal for healthy people. Optimal results for B12 are 1,000 according to the Pernicious Anaemia Society, and vitD is replete 75-200. NHS rarely prescribe when results are within normal range so you may have to self supplement to optimise low levels. I think FSH >40 confirms menopause.

It's very unlikely that a starting dose of 25mcg will deliver optimal thyroid levels. If your TSH remains high and your FT4 low, you will require 25mcg dose increases every 6-8 weeks until levels are euthyroid. For most euthyroid is when TSH is 1.0 or lower, FT4 in the upper quadrant of range, and FT3 in the top third of range.

Thyroid peroxidase antibody ranges vary. Many are positive >34 but my lab area is not positive until >100.

If you post your results and ranges (figures in brackets after results) in a new question tomorrow members will advise.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

You may also like...