hashimotos people

I am to be tested for low iron high hb and asked HAEMO clinic for me to be tested for homeocysteine to see I am absorb ing b12...

but hey the answer was NO, we don't need any more tests- I amhaving u and e /liver/ b12 we all know that levels of b12 mean sod all, folate and ferritin and bloodfilm- all half done again and there will be -- you are fine! but I am not bloody fine. I need some written info to take to back me up.

up.

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Pettals

It is possible to have a high B12 test result but be deficient.

The standard serum B12 is not comprehensive and should be followed up by a test for Intrinsic Factor and Parietal cell Antibodies. These tests will show if you absorb B12 via your gut (diet & sups).

The Active B12 (holotranscobalamin) test shows the amount of B12 that has past into the cells. If low, it will be necessary to an MMA test.

I had mine done privately by Blue Horizon (link below) and then again whilst having my antibody tests,etc at Guys Hospital.

Homocysteine, Vit D and Folate should probably be checked as well.

I had a high serum B12 result that matched the active B12 on both occasions (although I am supplementing).

Remember a high serum result can indicate a dificiency when there is enough B12 in the blood stream but the cells are unable to utilise (much like thyroid hormone ).

I believe the cells export it back where it builds whilst bound to haptocorrin.

This is then imported by the liver and recycled via bile but is not usable to the body.

The other transporter of B12 in the blood is transcobalamin.,

Flower

biolab.co.uk/docs/vitaminB1...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal before applying any of these suggestions.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

• yes flower I know that high levels can still be a low absorb I diplomatically aked the haemo clinic if I can be tested for mma and homecyetiene especially a s i have hashi but I wa s told no, we dont need anymore tests, I know about intrinsic factor too but I don't think they will know about any of it which I s why I need to take up printed info. I know I will be telling them an di know I will annoy them but I am sick of being fobbed off, I had my active b12 done at st Thomas a few years ago now and they said it was 'ok' but I trust NO ONE. I read up a lot on b12 about 5 years ago, i have been saying for a year that there wa something wrong with my ear and thankfully gp has now said ther e is and I am back soon at ent, back to b12 ihave a lot of info from b12 deficiency site, very very helpful.

• Sorry Pettals.

I thought you were asking for info on active B12 to show the haemo clinic.

I asked for active B12 to be tested at my haemo appointment earlier this year as was suffering neuropathy in both hands and feet. They didn't know what I was talking about and refused to even test serum B12.

Good luck, I hope the appointment goes well and also your poor ear is better soon.

Flower

• flower what are you sorry for? I didn't know about the pariental cell bodies, and I am printing off your well written post above to take, please don't be sorry, I was saying what bits i knew about and there are always extra info that we need I thankyou very much. xxxxxxx

• Pettals,

The Parietal cell antibody test is a blood test that looks for antibodies against the parietal cells of the stomach that release a substance needed to absorb vitamin B12.

This test can be performed with intrinsic factor antibody test when Vit B12 is low and methylalonic acid and homocysteine levels are high.

Parietal cell antibodies are not as specific as intrinsic factor antibodies, and do not always mean PA as can equate to other conditions such as thyroid problems, and gut issues.

If you have gut issues it is worth asking for an active B12 and intrinsic factor antibody test first.

Good luck,

Flower

………………………………………………………………………………………

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

………………………………………………………………………………………

You may also like...