Hashi and Elevated ALT (liver enzymes)

Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot again for helping me. I have a question re elevated liver enzimes (ALT) and Hashimoto. What's the connection here? How Hashimoto can affect liver? I have elevated ALT.

My TSH is 1,79 (0.3 - 4.2 mu/l)

Free T4 is 13,9 (12-22 pmol/l)

Thyroglobulin antibody 258.7 (0-115)

Thyroid pyroxidase antibody 66 (0-34)

Thanks

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello ekaterinas,

The liver metabolises hormones, filters toxins and cleans the blood.

Thyroid hormones are converted from T4-T3 in the liver and influence cholesterol & other lipids.

Hashimotos or hypothyroidism can slow these processes resulting in high cholesterol, LDL, triglycerides and raised liver enzymes.

High cholesterol is also caused by a slowing down of the gall bladder which metabolises liver byproducts. This slows the flow of bile used to breakdown dates and cholesterol ( & can lead to gallstones ). Bile stimulates flow through the stomach helping to absorb and eliminate foods.

Thyroid hormone affects detoxification pathways in the liver and insulin growth factor and the metabolization of drugs and environmental toxins. Very high levels of thyroid hormone (T3) can be dangerous as raises bilirubin levels and can be toxic to the liver damaging mitochondria.

Byproducts that need eliminating from the body are dumped into the gall bladder but low thyroid function can slow this process, making the liver and gall bladder sluggish & congested. This can reduce bile flow used to breakdown fats and cholesterol and other toxins that are broken down in the liver.

This whole process can also lead to the formation of gall stones. Many people with Hashimoto’s have gall bladder issues.

A healthy liver is essential in thyroid hormone convertion as hypothyroidism can interfere with liver function and fewer thyroid hormones become active. Thyroid hormone is converted primarily through 2 processes: Glucornidation and sulfation.

Dates Kharrazian says Glucoronidation is an important process for converting thyroid hormone & is supported by B vitamins, magnesium, and glysine.

Sulfation involves binding things partially broken down in the liver with sulfur containing compounds. It is one of the major detoxification pathways for neurotransmitters, toxins, and hormones (like thyroid hormones).

He advocates a healthy diet reducing refined carbohydrates and sugars and taking ginger, dandelion and milk thistle.

Both TPOAb & TGAb are raised so eating a gluten free diet may help dampen immune responses.

Your TSH & low T4 level allow room for a dose increase if symptomatic.

Flower

hashimotoshealing.com/hashi...

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal before applying any of these suggestions.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

• I have this too, what are your liver results? Have they tested Gamma GT

• Hi, my ALT is 63 (0-33). I'll have another bloodwork done soon including gamma GT. What are your results?

• Me too.

• Mine are higher than that...I take milk thistle and drink Nettle tea, as they are supposed to help. X

• Lynneypin

I have just started on milk thistle too.

I couldn't tolerate it for years but now can so assume that is progression.

Flower

• My consultant said that there are no clinical studies but a lot of his patients use it and was happy for me to as well.

You may also like...