Can anyone help me make sense of test results?

Hello there,

Just back from the Dr's getting blood test results in connection with my Hypothyroidism. I'm going to post a lot of numbers and hopefully someone can help me to figure out why I still feel terrible - exhausted and cold all the time.

So, diagnosed in May:

TSH 74.02 (Range 0.35-5.00)

FT4 5.3 (Range 9.0 - 21.0)

Put on 100mcg Levo.

Got more tests in June

TSH 4.07

FT4 16.1

Levo increased to 125mcg

Got lots of results today

TSH 0.0 6

FT4 13.9

TT3 1.6 (Range 0.9-2.5)

Levo increased to 150mcg

So, from the little that I know, my TSH is low (which is good), my FT4 has dropped from the last test and is not very high (not so good), and my TT3 is in the middle (which is good). Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong about this and if there is anything there that might suggest why I still feel unwell?

They did Urea & Electrolytes, and Liver function test, and Full Blood Count which the Dr said were fine, not sure if these results are are relevant, so won't post, unless anyone thinks they are relevant.

The next resluts are the ones I really need help with as I have no idea!

Serum Ferritin 76 (Range 15-200) - so this means no iron deficiency right?

Serum Folate 15.1 (Range 3.1-20.)

Serum Vit B12 237 (Range 200-900) - this looks a bit low to me but the Dr said it was fine. Should I be more assertive and ask for B12 tablets?

My final question is what is the difference between regular Hypothyroidism and Hashimito's? I asked if they had checked my anti-bodies and the Dr said no and she couldn't ask for the test as some level was too high or low or something (sorry to be vague, I was trying to take in a lot of information!). Does it matter if the treatment is the same?

Thanks so much for reading, I'm trying to find out as much as I ca about my condition but I'm still confused about a lot of things, I don't know what I'd do without the lovely folk on this forum.

16 Replies

• Kittenmitten, Your GP is obviously ignoring low TSH and trying to raise your T4 which should enable better conversion to T3. I'm not very familiar with total T3 but think it should probably be higher than mid-range.

Ferritin 76 means it is unlikely you are iron deficient. Half way through range is optimal so you might want to add a multi-vit with iron which should be taken 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

B12 237 is very low, PA Society say 1,000 is optimal. NHS won't prescribe when results are within range but you can self supplement methylcobalamin sublingual lozenges, spray or patches and take a B Complex vitamin to keep the other B vitamins balanced. Folate is good.

90% of hypothyrodism is caused by autoimmune thyroid antibodies (Hashimoto's). It's not uncommon to have Hashimoto's for years before becoming hypothyroid. There is no treatment for Hashimoto's, Levothyroxine treats the hypothyroidism it eventually causes.

• Thanks so much for replying Clutter, I know this is a busy forum.

I saw a different GP this time and I liked her better, she seemed happier to raise my Levo and said it was important that I feel better.

Do you happen to know why Hypothyrodism causes B12 deficiency?

I take a multivitamin and mineral with B12, just a Tesco one, but it would appear I need more, or a better source of, B12. Would my other B vitamins become unbalanced if I just used the methylcobalamin lozenges on their own without a B vitamin complex tablet? And can you get methylcobalamin tablets or only sublingual lozenge, spray, or patches? Also, is there anywhere in particular that sells these things or would Boots or Holland and Barrett do the job?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get my head around all this.

• Kittenmittens, i don't think hypothyroidism causes low B12. Hypothyroidism can cause low stomach acid which makes it difficult to obtain nutrients like B12 from food. Sublingual lozenges, spray or patches are better than tablets as they don't have to be absorbed via the gut. You should continue supplementing the B Complex. I don't know whether Boots or H&B sell methylcobalamin. I buy Jarrows Formula from Amazon.

I'd need to see FT3 result to be able to gauge whether the addition of T3 to T4 would be useful. The 25mcg dose increase may enough to resolve your symptoms.

• You really know your stuff Clutter :)

When you say continue supplementing the B Complex, do you mean by taking the mutivitamin I already take?

I did a search, neither Boots nor H&B do it so I will get some from Amazon. I did a quick search and apparently you need 2.4 micrograms a day, however, I see that the supplements (such as Jarrow's) comes in 500mcg and 1000mcg, are these not really high doses?

For reasons best known to themselves they didn't test FT3, I'll ask them to test that with my next blood tests.

I'm hoping that this increase will do the trick, but I just want to be prepared in case it doesn't.

• Scratchthat last bit about the high doses, have realised that Vitamin B12 and methylcobalamin are not the same thing and so are not directly equal in amounts. Sorry about that brain a bit overloaded at the moment! Do you think I should take 500mcg or 1000mcg?

• Oh, and do you take it long term? Sorry, I'm going to stop asking questions now, I hope I haven't bugged you too much, I really, really appraciate your advice.

• Kittenmitten, I take it every day to maintain levels.

• I take the 5000iu. If you can't get that, get the 1000iu. You can't really overdose as it is excreted in urine. You can reduce dose when your levels are at the top of the range

• Thanks Angel of the North :)

• Kittenmittens, methylcobalamin, cyanocobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin are sublingual forms of B12, hydroxocobalamin is an injectable form.

• B12 is one of the co factors needed to increase Stomach acid, so it's a good idea to take a B12, Methylcobalamin much better form of B12.

You can buy Methylcobalamin from any good independent health food store.

• Thanks Monica01 :)

• Oh, and thank you for the link to the Hashimoto's, I think I understand now, I probably had Hashimoto's and now I'm Hypo because of it.

• Also, I've been reading so much stuff about this that I'm a bit confused, is there anything else they need to check? Anything else I need to do? Might I feel better on just T3, and would an endrocrinoligist have to prescribe that?

My head's spinning with it all but I know I have to find out all I can to make sure I've covered everything. If I have then I'm happy to wait and hopefully feel better in time, but I don't want to spend months feeling like this if there is something going on that needs fixed.

• Hi there

You could very well be B12 deficient. Your b12 can be within ranges and still be deficient. I was diagnosed deficient at 257. One way to find out is to test your homocysteine level. If that is too high it is an indication of b12 deficiency despite it being within ranges. The symptoms of a deficiency are similar to thyroid issues. But can also be neurological and psychological. And left untreated can become quite serious.

Now - you really need to get checked if you have high antibodies (ie hashimotos). Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease, and they rarely come alone. Another common autoimmune disease to go along with it is Pernicious Aneamia. That is a condition where you immune system destroys intrinsic factor in your stomach making it impossible to absorb b12 and you'll need injections every three months for the rest of your life. So in my opinion you should ask your doctor to test for thyroid antibodies, homocysteine and intrinsic factor.

You can get more info and answers on the PA forum. I'd recommend you post your story there too along with results.

Good luck!

• Thanks Nadpa :)

You may also like...