Please help!

Please can someone help me determine my thyroid results...

I've been losing my hair for two years and have decided to get a thyroid blood test as I have lots of symptoms

They can back - tsh 1.75 reference 0.27-4.2

Ft3 13.3 reference 12-22

Ft4 4.3 reference 3.1 - 6.8

My doctor has dismissed them but I feel my t4 and t3 are too low??

Please help :(

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Your TSH is rather low given the fT3 and fT4 figures. This can happen in cases of depresson, severe illness or strict dieting. It can also happen if you have had high thyroid hormone levels for some time either because of hyperthyroidism or taking large doses of thyroid hormone, which I guess doesn't apply to you.

It would help to have details of all your symptoms, so we can judge whether they are likley to be related to hypothyroidism. In the end the signs and symptoms are more important than the blood tests.

• I have raynauds syndrome wher the tips of my fingers are white and numb, I put on weight very easily, iregular periods, sinking heart on occasions as well as getting a puffy when I have been out drinking for a few days

• Abzieg, TSH 1.75 and FT3 4.3 are normal but FT3 13.3 is low in range. Nevertheless 13.3 is within range and NHS won't diagnose hypothyroidism until either FT4 is below range or TSH over range.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/diagno...

Low ferritin can cause hairloss, and low ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate can cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood similar to hypothyroid symptoms so you should ask your GP to test them. Post the results and ranges in a new question and members will advise whether you should supplement.

• There is some evidence of raynaud's syndrome and hypothroidism:-

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/105...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/738...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/156...

I have no knowledge in this area, I just ran a PubMed search.

The logical thing to do would be a trial of thyroid hormone, perhaps starting with 50 mcg levothyroxine to see if you get an improvement. Unfortunately, in general, doctors do not do logical. Good luck.

Jim.

You may also like...