Hashimoto's

I am taking Armour thyroid 1 3/4 grains. Not for the first time in the 12 yrs since I was diagnosed, I am again unwell. My TSH is 2.5 FT3 5.9 and FT4 8.7. My Gp surgery is closing and so it is uncertain whether my new GP will prescribe Armour. I became very unwell on Levothyroxine and eventually got help from Dr Peatfield. However my current GP is Anthroposphic and willing to prescribe Armour. As I have to find a new GP and have not been well again I asked for a full blood test. Although the symptoms have now subsided I had swollen and painful ankles and legs which were red and dry and sore to touch. I generally sleep well but could not sleep for long. My liver area was sore and had sharp pains on one day before it subsided. I had pins and needles in fingers and a constant low grade headache which has remained. My BP starts normal and climbs through the day to about 180/100. My GP prescribed Alpha blockers but I just felt worse on these and stopped taking them after a couple of weeks. Please advise if there is a NHS consultant that I can asked for a referal to or if anyone understands these symptoms? (my GP though willing to prescribe Armour seems not to understand Hashimoto's and is unable to help me) I recently read about thyroid dump and thought this may explain it. Do I need to increase my meds again ( increased by 1/2 grain about 5 months ago) ? Its a lonely and frustrating path being hypothyroid. I think Dr P is the only professional I have seen who completely got the symptoms and heard my concerns. However its some time since I spent a year in his care.

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • Jacqui-s, Most people on an optimal NDT dose will have low/suppressed TSH. TSH 2.5 means you are undermedicated and need to increase dose. I think you posted your FT3 range as 4.0-7.1 so FT3 5.9 is good but there is room for a dose increase. FT4 is often low because of the T3 in NDT.

Doctors treat hypothyroidism but not the underlying autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's. Many people think autoimmune disease starts in the gut and is triggered by gluten. A lot of members find 100% gluten-free diet helps manage Hashi flares and reduces antibodies.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Pins and needles in fingers can be due to undermedication, low calcium and low B12.

Ask your GP to test calcium, ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate. Deficiency/low levels are common in hypothyroid patients and can cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood, similar to hypothyroid symptoms.

Email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk for a list of member recommended endos. The office is closed for holidays until 1 September. Few NHS consultants prescribe NDT so check with them before asking for a referral. Most members using NDT have to pay privately or buy on the internet without prescription.

You may also like...