Extra Magnesium Can Improve Strength and Balance in Older Women by Dr Lam

The study was conducted at the University of Padova in Italy and involved 124 participants with an average age of 71. At the beginning of the study, participants were given a series of tests to measure their balance, strength and walking speed. For the next 12 weeks, 53 of the women were given 300 mg of magnesium per day, while the others were given a placebo.

At the end of the study, the tests were repeated. The magnesium group had made substantial improvements in strength, balance and walking speed. Those who had been deficient in magnesium prior to the study made the most significant improvements.

The most notable difference was in walking speed. The women who received the magnesium improved their gait by nearly 40 feet per minute on average. Of all the tests given, gait speed is the one most often used to diagnose degenerative skeletal muscle loss, a condition known as sarcopenia, which is used to predict future adverse health events.

- See more at: drlam.com/blog/extra-magnes...

1 Reply

• Well I had to run for the bus the other day and surprised myself, is this because of my taking 200mg magnesium citrate an hour before bedtime!

You may also like...