Vitamin D - alternative considered views ! ! !

Dear All

This one is for the real "Vit D" enthusiasts*** to digest (slowly !) and consider the potential issues often ignored by the subscribers of mega-dosing (of this immunomodulating) secosteroid **.

See:

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j... leading to:

[PDF]Vitamin D discovery outpaces FDA decision-making - Trevor ...

trevormarshall.com/BioEssays-Feb08-Marshall-Preprint.pdf

The rest ( - lesser "Vit D" enthusiasts) may wish to give a limited consideration to the Summary, Introduction & Conclusions of this HIGHLY TECHNICAL MICROBIOLOGY PAPER, which is some 10 pages in length and has 79 references ( - and is from Feb 2008 - have we all been ASLEEP ? ? ?).

Could we have got "it" all rather BACKWARDS ? "Food ( - preferably natural, unfortified !) for thought" !

To supplement ( - long term) or not supplement - that is one question. To supplement lightly or heavily is another. In any case, making our own from sensible sun exposure is said to be far more preferable than using supplements, as the former gives metabolites which are known to last longer in the body ( i.e. longer half-lives).

The final paragraph in the Conclusions reads:

"While it is true that molecular biology can still only precisely describe a very small fraction of the human experience, what it can describe it does so in exquisite detail. It is critical that Medicine revisits the role which has been assigned to "The Sunshine Vitamin," properly recognizing its function as a secosteroid, a transcriptional activator, key to the proper operation of the innate immune system."

Happy digesting . . . . . . this is MY gift to YOU for your birthday, Christmas ( &/or similar festivities) and New Year ( - all of which I'm SURE are within SIX months of TODAY; that's a mathematical certainty !).

Epictetus

*** yes, you know who you are ! ! !

NB: ** THIS DOES ADD WEIGHT TO MY EXISTING CONCERNS ABOUT THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS, INCLUDING THE WELL-KNOWN & OFTEN QUOTED VITAMIN D COUNCIL ! ! !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi. The link doesn't go anywhere?

• Says invalid URL

• Invalid URL

• The link says "invalid URL".

• I haven't read it myself yet but if anyone is interested you can access the link via the following link, posted by the author himself it seems ... marshallprotocol.com/forum3...

• Can I suggest that you check your link and correct it, as it appears to be broken.

Thank you.

Louise

• Yes, sorry the link doesN'T work ! And I'd cut and pasted it !

THANKS EMJAYTEE . . . . . . your link DOES work ! ! ! Well done !

ALSO, searching for "Trevor Marshall Feb 2008 .pdf" brings up a number of results (on Google) for the paper titled: "Vitamin D discovery outpaces FDA decision-making".

Thanks to all the early birds for the feedback . . . . . . hope you'll find this body of knowledge of interest & use.

Given Prof Marshall's work is all about AUTOIMMUNITY, it seems surprising its not quoted more often in thyroid circles . . . . . . . . . wonder what going on ( I'm inclined to wonder) ?

Epictectus

• No problem Epictectus, thank you for sharing your find :)

• I am at a loss to understand this .

Could anyone put this into layman's language ?

Pp

• Its v. technical and more than a little to take in for those of us who are not molecular biologists. However, it provides an ALTERNATIVE view/opinion to those who recommend blood levels of the "vit D" marker, 25(OH)D, at 75nmol/L and higher as being optimum (almost) regardless of anything else.

This recommendation for more conservative blood levels of 25(OH)D, the author claims is particularly important for those with (known or unknown) inflammatory illnesses - for which high blood levels of 25(OH)D may well initially reduce symptoms but in the longer term cause the ILLNESS/condition to deteriorate or be added to by other complications.

A more recent abstract (2015) by the same author recommends 25(OH)D levels are kept at below 50-60nmol/L ( - see below) for those with such chronic inflammatory conditions. If this applies to you, perhaps is it would be easier to not delve into the paper, but start piecing things together via the site above and even ask questions on the site's forum.

Hope that helps.

• Epictetus

Thanks for the reply, I will " cogitate" at my leisure .

Pp

• The following abstract is from:

sciencedirect.com/science/a... and is from:

Infection and Autoimmunity (Second Edition), 2015, Pages 163–182:

"Abstract

Microbes capable of persisting inside nucleated cells can significantly alter human metabolism by changing the expression of human genes.

An increasing number of studies show that the human microbiome shifts away from homeostasis in patients with chronic inflammatory conditions.

Several key pathogens previously tied to inflammatory disease persist by dysregulating expression of the vitamin D nuclear receptor and subsequently the innate immune response.

Vitamin D is an immunosuppressive secosteroid. Its use as a supplement may temporarily palliate inflammation but allows pathogens in the microbiome to proliferate more readily. This contributes to relapse and comorbidities over time.

Further, low concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-D) in patients with inflammatory disease are likely a result rather than a cause of the inflammatory disease process. It seems that blood-borne 25-D levels must be kept at less than 50–60 nmol/L to optimize microbiome stability."

(Abstract separated into shorter paragraphs for easy of reading).

"Keywords

Autoimmune diseases;

Infection;

Metagenomics;

Microbiome;

Vitamin D;

Vitamin D receptor

Corresponding Author:

Copyright © 2015 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved."

• Greek philosopher , some interesting quotes.

None I fear concerning vitamin d unfortunately !

Pp

• Thanks for your amusing comment ! Relieved NOT to be in Greece these days, he might have thought ! ! !

My ancient predecessor may have said "Ahhhhh, them were the days" ( - except in Ancient Greek, . . . . no reason to suppose he spoke English !).

But his time is (long) gone . . . . . . . and THIS is OUR time ! Let's make the best of it ! ;o))

Hope the "Marshall Protocol" works out to be good for you ( & me !).

• As Epictetus MIGHT have said.

I'll drink to that 😉

Pp

You may also like...