Blood Test Results

Had TT almost 2 years ago. Feel awful at the moment & changed doctors so went for blood tests. They only tested TSH & T4 but convinced them to do Iron levels too next time.

Feel so tired at the moment and been trying to lose weight but takes so long to lose a couple of pounds then the next week its back on again.

My results were

T4 16 (range 10-22)

TSH 8 (range 0.30-5.50)

My levothyroxine has been increased from125mg to 150mg

Any advice greatly received.

4 Replies

• Tsh 8? With a tt and they leave you with an 8. ... Oh dear someone isn't very clued up on how to treat... Tbh I doubt an extra 25 of t4 is going to make the slightest difference.

You really really need to get a whole set of thyroid tests... Tsh, free t4, free t3 and probably reverse t3 too.... And whilst you are at it, vitamin b12, iron, d3 and ferritin.

If the doctor won't help you can pay privately if you can afford it. Probably looking at a couple of hundred pounds. Details under testing on the thyroid uk home page. Http://

Losing weight is unlikely with a raised tsh ( sorry). You need to concentrate on getting all the its and minerals right, and then sorting out the correct meds before you entertain losing weight.

What was the reason for a TT?, were you hyperthyroid? If so then you may well need t3 adding, or was it cancer, in which case supressed tsh is recommended.

Xx g

• I had a TT due to having large goiter on both side all scans and FNA were inconclusive so recommended a TT. Really wish I hadn't had it though. Feeling really bad today worst than for a long time

• Keb5332, you were very undermedicated to have TSH 8. The goal of Levothyroxine is to restore the patient to euthyroid status and this usually means TSH will be around 1.0.

Read Dr. Toft's comments in Treatment Options

Ask for a thyroid blood test 6-8 weeks after dose was increased as you'll probably need another dose increase. Leave 24 hours between last dose and blood draw.

• Sorry to hear what has happened since your TT. A friend had a TT her endocrinologist put her on a total replacement dose of 200mcg straight away. Did your endo write to your Gzp recommending dosage before discharging you?

You may also like...