armour /tyroxine

Hi all ,Can anybody please advise the quantity of Armour I should take if I normally take 275mg Tyroxine I am looking at buying it privately. My Tyroxine is correct dose for me but I always prefered Armour when Dr Skinner used to perscribe it. But unfortunately can not find any old bottles or paper work . Thank You. Wishing everybody on this fantastic site a Good Weekend.

3 Replies

• Marditart, 1 grain Armour (60mg) is bioactively equivalent to 100mcg Levothyroxine so you will need 2.75 grains (165mg). I've observed that patients switching from Levothyroxine to NDT frequently take higher doses than the bioactive equivalent so you may ultimately need more.

Usual advice is to start with half a grain of NDT and increase every two weeks by half a grain. To avoid becoming hypo reduce your Levothyroxine by 50mcg for each half grain you add.

• Thank you so much clutter ! Really appreciate your advice. X

• I stopped my levo for 2 weeks before starting NDT and found it excellent. T4 has a half life of several weeks and if it isn't working well whats the harm in stopping it?

You may also like...