Confused about my T3 blood results

Hi Everyone!

I have been on 60 T3 (3 x 20mcg per day) and 50mch Levo for a good 2 and a half months. Had a blood test a couple of weeks back and got these results. I have a conversion problem, and am taking minimal T4 just to have it there really.

My main question is- why is my T3 so low when I am taking so much??? In fact it keeps on dropping every time I have a new test even though I am taking more.

TSH 0.005 (0.27-4.2)

T4 5,6 (12-22)

T3 2,8 (<6.8)

I feel ok, apart from a stinking cold right now, but thought I had really found my sweet spot dose wise. DO these results indicate that I should be taking more T3?

I had about a day and a half off all meds before the blood test due to the timings of when I take it.

Thanks for any advice or info! :-)

4 Replies

• Forgot to put my result before from Oct!

On 40 T3 and 100 mcg Levo:

TSH 0.005

T4 11.7

T3 4.2

So now you can see why I am confused.... I left the same amount of time from not taking the meds to the blood test for both tests.

• Kiwifruit, Your results look better on 100+40 but don't explain the drop in FT4 and FT3 when you adjusted dose. Did you increase T3 and reduce T4 to improve FT3? Perhaps you needed more T3 without reducing T4.

• Kiwifruit, 24hours between last dose and blood draw is sufficient, but even extrapolating your FT3 by 20% to estimate normal circulating hormone yours is still low at 3.36 and something is off for it to drop after increasing dose.

If you take T4+T3 on an empty stomach, one hour before or two hours after food and drink, 2 hours away from other medication and 4 hours away from iron, calcium, vitamin D and oestrogen, it seems likely you are either not absorbing the T4+T3 due to gut issues or you have resistance to thyroid hormone. You may need referral to a gastroenterologist to check out malabsorption and an endocrinologist to investigate resistance to thyroid hormone. 60mcg T3 is the maximum dose prescribed by GPs in the UK, prescription for higher doses requires recommendation from an endocrinologist.

• Good points thanks!

Could stress affect the tests? I have just juggled two jobs for the past nearly 3 months which meant I have worked full time during the week but had another job on the weekends. That is finished now as it was just short term, however, I was feeling under tremendous pressure and stress.

Apart from that I was feeling really good, health-wise. I was really shocked at the results because I was scared I was going to be at the top of the limit!

Is T3 not meant to be taken around food? That is a problem as I take one dose around my lunchtime.

I have been careful that most of the time the morning dose for the T3/T4 and my contraceptive pill is taken on waking and around 45 mins before breakfast.

I def will book for another blood test in around a month and if the results are the same will then go into it more with the doc

Thanks Clutter! Hope you are having a great week!

You may also like...