Thyroid UK
96,904 members110,721 posts

the delights of bone broth, cook for 24 hours

jbbardot.com/the-amazing-de...

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Thanks Pettals

I have been reading a lot about bone broth for quite a few things in different links re gut etc. Dr Axe was one in particular and a book on nutrition I am reading.

My mother always made soups with a huge bone from the butchers. Lots of meat on it, so when it was removed from the saucepan we had the meat with potatoes and veg along with lovely homemade soup which kept away the chills when the weather was particularly cold. No bought soup in those days.

4 likes

Same here shaws. I still make soup from my my chicken carcass and someone told me recently that you can buy chicken carcasses online from Abel and Cole although I haven't done that yet. Like Shaws we were brought up on homemade soup made from marrow bones from the butcher. My parents used to love to eat the bone marrow - somehow it never appealed to me though. 😊

yes I remember mum boiling up the bones..... I am doing the same now to seeif it helps my dreadful health.

1 like

Hope it does pettals - sounds like the marrow would be good for you. In some places it is a real delicacy, my husband loves it. Not sure how easy it is these days to get marrow bones, you might have to tell the butcher you want it for the dog.

I just looked up that company who do the chicken bones - they are £1.75 a carcass and it comes with the neck and liver too (£2.75 if you want an organic carcass) Think you pay a bit for delivery but the person who told me about them said it isn't that much and you don't need to put in a big order either, she also said there was quite a lot of meat on them too that she puts in her soup. 😊

hi fruitn nut, how would we know that the carcasses haven't been hanging around,... and I like to wash my chickens in the cavity, or am I the only one who does this, before boiling them up, it always makes me feel sick when I look inside-- and I ask the butcher for the marrow bones and he gives themto me as I shop there. I can never work out what the marrow looks like so it just boils with the bones.x

Have PMd you pettals 😊

Bone marrow never appealed to me, either, until someone persuaded me to eat it. I tried it spread on a piece of bread and it was delicious!

But not I've gone completely off all forms of 'meat', so can't bear to even think about bone broth...

That's at shame in a way - to be honest I'd generally rather have a bowl of broth or soup than a plate of meat.

1 like

I Don't want a plate of meat, either! lol I do occassionally eat meat - if I'm cooking for somebody else, or somebody else is cooking for me. But I Don't like cooking or eating it. I try to reason with myself, but...

I ate plenty of meat as a child - although only really liked chicken. I guess that's how I managed to survive. But when I was about 51, I went veggie and it was the worst thing I ever did for my health. I went rapidly down-hill. Not that I'd ever been a picture of health! Now, I try to strike a happy medium. But boiling up bones? No, Don't think I could manage that.

1 like

chicken bones and carcass boiledbroth is delish... bung afew onions carrots celery garlic ginger in..

1 like

:(

I'm the same GG. I ended up having to eat meat again as I became allergic to allium family and intolerant of gluten... It made eating veggie-only impossible on top of being ill. Some days I really struggle with meat (more than other days - weird), but I'm usually okay with fish.

I get my dad to make the stock/soup for me from the leftovers of roast - cheating haha... I can't even stand the smell of it simmering.

My sister is a vegan, and my mum has spent years being a veggie (but she eats meat now along with me and dad). Funny thing is none of us veggie/vegans have been well from the non-meat eating lifestyle. I used to think it was super healthy, but I think I was deficient in too many things.

Well, I'm not surprised none of you have been healthy. It isn't super healthy - why would it be. We are omnivors, which means we are designed - our whole body and way of being is designed - to eat meat. Meat and veg. That means that there are things in meat that we need to be healthy.

I certainly didn't give it up because I thought it would be healthy! I just didn't want to eat it - but then there aren't many things I do want to eat! And then I moved in with a friend that was veggie (or so he said! but in secret he was sneaking off to eat lamb chops!) and I thought well, why bother trying to eat it. Some years later, family and friends, worried about my rapidly declining health, persuaded me to start eating it again, but by then the whole idea seemed revolting. And then I started thinking about the humanitarian aspect and eating - which had never been simple - became a whole lot more difficult!

Mmmmm. I'm sure I could probably live on soup alone.

You may also like...