Swollen thyroid gland

Hello, I am new here.

About a year or so ago, I went to my GP with a sore throat and difficulty swallowing. I came out with an urgent referral for an ultrasound for a lump in my throat. The doctor who did the ultrasound found my thyroid quite significantly enlarged but there were no nodules of concern. He recommended bloods and for the situation to be monitored. My free T4 was a bit low but everything else was normal. I was referred to a very nice endocrinologist who did every test under the sun and couldn't find anything treatable.

I'm still experiencing some discomfort when swallowing. Should I just assume that it's one of those things or perhaps discuss this with my GP again? I work full-time and finding appointments times that suit me is not easy. I also have other health problems, so medical appts for them are taking priority at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies

• Welcome to the forum, Crashdoll.

Ask for a follow up thyroid blood test. The thyroid gland swells in an attempt to produce more hormone. It's likely that levels have changed in the last year. Have the blood draw early in the morning when TSH is highest and it may have risen enough for you to get a diagnosis and treatment. Ask for a print out of your results with the lab ref ranges and post the results in a new question for advice.

• Thank you. I do have a good GP practice, it's just finding time. I think I shall have to though. I have 6 weekly bloods, usually in the AM anyway. I will ask about checking my thyroid again.

• I suspect your other medical problems are all part and parcel of the thyroid problem and without knowing the actual test results the endo did we cant tell

hypothyroid is far too lightly taken and glossed over by doctors and endos alike so that only those on here who suffer it or cope with several affected relatives know the full picture

• I suspect there is a link, as did my GP, hence the referral. I have 3 different autoimmune disease; rheumatoid arthritis, secondary Sjogren's and a rare autoimmune eye disease.

I often get told that it's part and parcel of my existing health conditions and maybe it is. I suppose another lot of blood tests can't hurt.s

• Have you had a test for thyroid antibodies?!

• Yes, it came back normal.

• So many different problems can be a result of low thyroid. Here are just two of them.

• Thanks, I will have a little watch of these later tonight.

• I didn't know about your antibodies when I posted #7 above but I do wonder what the doctors are thinking. Your other problems are auto immune but your thyroid problem isn't??

This is ridiculous with all those blood tests they see nothing?

I wish Dr. Clark could have a look. I found another video for you. They are only 5 minutes so won't take much of your time but they are eye openers because of what other doctors overlook or don't test for. This one is about inflammatory cytokines. Normally cytokines are there to help you but with autoimmune they are not good at all.

You may also like...