PCOS / adrenals

Hi. I was diagnosed in 2006 with pcos after a scan and blood tests. My brother had a diagnosis of celiac disease last year and my mother has a diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

I have been prescribed metformin due to absence of periods. I'm wondering if my hormone imbalance could be addressed higher up the chain by adrenal support rather than metformin which I think only addresses insulin (does this have an impact on progesterone and testosterone and estrogen too?).

My progesterone and estrogen are low, but testosterone is high and initial tests suggest I am not insulin resistant (glucose blood test) - but I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome despite eating predominantly low GI and gluten free - will metformin help rebalance hormones or is it in fact adrenals which need support / help / looking at? I'm also wondering whether my mum would have had a pcos diagnosis if she'd have been tested at my age, and this has now manifested itself as hypothyroidism in her mid 50's...

My TSH is in range and as I have PCOS diagnosis, gp reluctant to test thyroid function any further.

I'm nearly 35. I have a son conceived naturally in 2011.

Help!

Last edited by

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • do not understand why metformin would be prescribed

sounds like your hypothyroid and this needs addressing

what blood test results have you got

• I do think Metformin is a drug of the moment - and from what I have read is a Rupert Bear Sticking Plaster. Can you post your Thyroid blood test results so people can comment. Have you had the following tested ? B12 - Ferritin - Folate - Iron - VitD.....

• Some info for you.

• Really helpful link explains why I used to fall asleep onto my plate when eating dinner! Another Ah ha in the puzzle!

• Keep putting the pieces together and compare notes from good sources. Answers will be there. If you care to watch more of his videos just click on the youtube icon at the bottom right corner.

• Look good - hadn't come across this one Happy 2015 !

• Thanks all, my trouble is that because my gp has boxed me off in the PCOS box, and my symptoms of anything that overlaps with / could be attributed to hypothyroidism or an adrenal issue are so mild, and my TSH is 1.6miu/L (range 0.35 - 4.5miu/L) I have been unsuccessful so far in convincing them to test fT3 fT4 VitB etc. Hence trying to arm myself with more info to be able to point out why this testing could be of use to me. I think its going to take a lot of convincing... The last set of bloods I had done was basically the fertility lot - hormones, diabetes and blood count. Testosterone was 3.2nmol/L (range 0.2 - 1.8nmol/L). Progesterone reported as low at 1nmol/L but no range provided.

Known symptoms are: heavy and very irregular periods, low BBT (approx 36degrees), slight fatigue, hirsutism, secondary infertility suspected - ttc for 15months.

Gp prescribed metformin in hope of sorting cycle out and conceiving. Basically it's now on the NICE guidelines as a possible prescribed drug to help PCOS symptoms and my gp has decided it might help me. I am 2 weeks into taking it and have just upped dosage to 1000mg / day. Side effects prevented me upping dose earlier. Now I'm wondering if I were to get full thyroid bloods done (gp or privately), would I need all metformin to be out of my system beforehand? Or maybe metformin will help my immediate situation and any thyroid / adrenal problems I may have could be so minor that treating / controlling PCOS is the best I can do... I don't know any more! Also wondering how similar my body is to my mum's, she's been on a long journey to feel well and we know what medication does work for her at the moment...

• The first thing to do is get a print-out of your blood test results from the GP with ranges and post on a new question.

This is an excerpt re PCOS. I don't have the link but it is important if you have hypothyroidism.

Multiple Ovarian Cysts as

a Major Symptom of Hypothyroidism

The case I describe below is of importance to women with polycystic ovaries. If

they have evidence, such as a high TSH, that conventional clinicians accept as evidence

of hypothyroidism, they may fair well. But the TSH is not a valid gauge of a woman's

tissue thyroid status. Because of this, she may fair best by adopting self-directed

care. At any rate, for women with ovarian cysts, this case is one of extreme importance.

In 2008, doctors at the gynecology department in Gunma, Japan reported the case

of a 21-year-old women with primary hypothyroidism. Her doctor referred her to the

gynecology department because she had abdominal pain and her abdomen was distendedup to the level of her navel.

At the gynecology clinic she underwent an abdominal ultrasound and CT scan. These

imaging procedures showed multiple cysts on both her right and her left ovary.

The woman's cholesterol level and liver function were increased. She also had a

high level of the muscle enzyme (creatine phosphokinase) that's often high in hypothyroidism.

Blood testing also showed that the woman had primary hypothyroidism from autoimmune thyroiditis.

It is noteworthy that the young woman's ovarian cysts completely disappeared soon

after she began thyroid hormone therapy. Other researchers have reported girls with

primary hypothyroidism whose main health problems were ovarian cysts or precocious

puberty. But this appears to be the first case in which a young adult female had

ovarian cysts that resulted from autoimmune-induced hypothyroidism.

The researchers cautioned clinicians: "To avoid inadvertent surgery to remove an

ovarian tumor, it is essential that a patient with multiple ovarian cysts and hypothyroidism

be properly managed, as the simple replacement of a thyroid hormone could resolve

the ovarian cysts."[1]

Reference:

Give your GP a copy of this with the relevant studies quoted.

1. Kubota, K., Itho, M., Kishi, H., et al.: Primary hypothyroidism presenting as

multiple ovarian cysts in an adult woman: a case report. Gynecol. Endocrinol.,

24(10):586-589, 2008.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Amazing! Thankyou, I think that's got me thinking in the right direction!

• Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothroidism and PCOS at the same time after coming off the pill a couple of years ago. I haven't tried metformin as not ttc, but I have heard it can help even if you're not insulin resistant (I'm not either). I really hoped that when I got my thyroid under control it would sort everything else out but unfortunately that's not happened for me. Have you thought about seeing a naturopath? I tried it and while it didn't fix things for me, that's not to say it wouldn't for you. I took agnus castus for a while which did help with hair and skin, but I couldn't seem to keep my thyroid happy with it so I stopped it. But if your thyroid is ok it might be worth a try. Hope that's of some use x

• Hi, I was diagnosed with hypothroidism and PCOS at the same time after coming off the pill a couple of years ago. I haven't tried metformin as not ttc, but I have heard it can help even if you're not insulin resistant (I'm not either). I really hoped that when I got my thyroid under control it would sort everything else out but unfortunately that's not happened for me. Have you thought about seeing a naturopath? I tried it and while it didn't fix things for me, that's not to say it wouldn't for you. I took agnus castus for a while which did help with hair and skin, but I couldn't seem to keep my thyroid happy with it so I stopped it. But if your thyroid is ok it might be worth a try. Hope that's of some use x

• Thankyou. I am looking at other avenues now and a naturopath might be of use. Agnus Castus doesn't agree with me (maybe I had a bad batch though - thinking of giving it another go).

• Hiya you need to help the insulin resistance because when its out of whack your testosterone is thrown out of balance resulting in no period and cysts. Look up insotitol for Pcos its a vitamin for insulin resistance. Hypo and pcos are related.

You may also like...