Ok Lovely People, Be Grateful For Advise On My Results - Especially Why Iron Should Be Corrected Before Thyroid Meds?

Just got my results back and have been told thyroid meds cant be adjusted until my low Iron has been sorted. I was due to be put on NDT. Can anyone tell me why this is and also let me know what they think on the results in general?

I have APS, Sjogrens and Hashimotos plus Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity so don't eat Gluten. My thyroid meds at the moment are 125mcgs of Levo M-F and 100mcgs at the weekend. Thanks very much :-)

FT4 20.4 (12 - 22)

FT3 4.49 (3.1 - 6.8)

TSH L 0.02 (0.27 - 4.20)

TPO 0.08 (<34)

VIT D 62 (Def <25 - Insuff 25 - 50)

Vit B12 473 (142-725)

Serum Folate) 19.81 (10.4 - 42.4)

Homocysteine 8.4 (<10)

Iron 8.1 (6.6 - 26.0)

Transferrin 2.6 (0.1 - 5.2)

Ferritin 42.2 (20 - 150)

Iron Saturation L 12.4 (20 - 55)

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • APsnotfab, optimal ferritin/iron aids absorption of thyroxine. As you are already on T4 I don't understand why the switch to NDT can't be made while you improve ferritin.

Looks like your Hashi's has improved with diet as your thyroid peroxidase antibodies are negative. Were thyroglobulin antibodies tested too? Some people are negative for TPO but positive for Tg and vice versa.

TSH is suppressed and FT4 is good, almost at the top of the range, but FT3 isn't half way in range so you aren't converting well. Improving ferritin may aid absorption of T4 and improving vitD should aid conversion of T4 to T3 but the addition of T3 or switching to NDT will be helpful.

B12 is <500 so I would supplement 500mcg-1,000mcg methylcobalamin sublingual lozenges, spray or patches plus a B Complex. Folate is good around half way in range.

Supplement 2,000iu vitD3 softgel capsules or spray until April when ultraviolet light is strong enough to stimulate vitD.

Supplement ferrous fumarate and take each iron tablet with 500mg-1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and mitigate constipation.

• Good to see Homocysteine being tested. Your result is good - well not in double figures. You may find it will lower even more with a good B Complex and with the B12. Ensure there are adequate levels of Folic Acid in the Complex as it works with the B12 in the body....enables the B12 to remain in the body a little longer.

• Here's info on Vit D. Yours is not in the optimal range.

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

• Actually its your ferritin that needs raising to above 70 with iron plus at least 1000mg Vit C and you should be on either T3 or NDT rather than levothyroxine because if your ferritin is low your body cannot convert or utilise the t4 in levo into the t3 your cells need to function

• Thanks everyone - I don't understand why I cant switch to NDT either but the message I got back from the Endo was simply that the iron was too low and needs addressing before any change to the thyroid medication. Perhaps he thought if it was corrected it may make a difference to my FT3 and therefore avoid a need for a switch but I have always had an issue with my FT3 even without the iron issues.

No Thyroglobulin was not done even though I asked for both. I have persistently been more positive with those then with TPO although I have been positive to both at some point. I will ask the GP to do it.

I have B12 injections of 1000iu so will commence them again every 2 weeks and will start on Vit C and get 1000mg's.

Ive still got some Vit D 20,000iu gel caps which I was taking 3 x per week when I was down at 32 last winter. Should I still take 3 per week or less then that??

Should I get the Ferrous Fumerate from the GP or what? I think Lamberts are trustworthy but would take advice on any other supplements that have no fillers or gluten.

• APs, 2 x 20,00iu weekly should be ample. FF is available OTC but not from Boots which require a prescription. I think Lloyds sell it but I don't know what fillers are in it.

• Thanks I will check. :-)

You may also like...