Endocrinologist Birmingham/Midlands

Hi everyone

I'm currently seeing a good endo who has me on a T4/T3 combo after 18 very difficult months on Thyroxine only. He tells me I have a conversion problem after having FT4 of 41 and FT3 of 6 following over medication of Levo at 200/175 mcg for over a year (by hospital onc. (See my other post today). My GP is happy to prescribe the T3 which is a bonus.

I would like another opinion though. The endo I see doesn't want FT3 over range. I know I need more T3. I started off at 75 mcg Thyroxine and 15 mcg T3. After 4 weeks have tweaked this up to 20 mcg T3 in divided doses. Well-being after increase only 'lasts' for about a week and then fibro/migraine symptoms return. Took the whole 20 mg dose in one go this morning but I'm still crashing. After thyroidectomy I took 3 x 20 mcg T3 a day for 8 months and felt great. Obviously my FT3 was very high then and FT4 at nil.

I feel that if I'm going to get the T3 I need then the FT range will also be high. If it was OK when I wason T3 only I don't see what the problem is. Ideally I'd like to get off the Levo altogether and back on to a T3 only regime. I feel as though the Levo is poisoning me. Not sure whether it's blocking the T3 or te T3 isn't high enough.

Can anyone recommend via PM an Endo who follows the T3 protocol and is both NHS and Private? Don't mind seeing private Endo but need to get over this issue about private prescriptions. I can't do this without support of my GP because of the cancer issues ( had breast cancer at same time) and can't afford to fund private prescriptions. GP not allowed to prescribe NHS prescriptions if they come from Private Endo. Think it's possible to transfer to a consultant's NHS list after a private consult. Did this with a gynaecologist.

Thank you

3 Replies

• Mazzamo, email louise.warvill@thyroiduk.org.uk for the list of endos which members have recommended. You will have to research them to see whether or not they prescribe T3.

You should feel better when your FT3 is in the top 75% or at the top of range, but it takes time to build up and get there, and possibly a few more weeks to feel as good as your bloods say you are. If you still feel the T4 is toxic then discuss with your endo the possibility of T3 only.

I doubt you will find an endo willing to prescribe so that your FT3 is over range as long term over range is considered to be a risk for atrial fibrillation and osteporosis.

• It is usual for anyone on T3 alone to have a high T3 and very low TSH. This is a link which may be helpful. Dr Lowe took 150mcg T3 himself and prescribed T3 for some of his patients. This is an excerpt:

Dr. Lowe: First, let me clarify an important point: Our treatment protocol does not consist solely of patients using T3. Only two groups of our patients use T3. One group is patients who appear to have thyroid hormone resistance. The other group is hypothyroid patients who fail to benefit from desiccated thyroid. Our other patients use desiccated thyroid as part of their metabolic rehabilitation regimen. (We don’t, of course, waste time any more trying T4 alone; it’s too seldom of any use.)

Now, to address your rheumatologist’s assertion that T3 is dangerous, and his implication that amitriptyline is not. I think the best way to reply to him is to quote publications that are available to him. In the USA, when patients get their prescriptions filled for T3 (usually the brand Cytomel), the pharmacist usually gives them a leaflet on the product. The leaflet contains the following statement:

"NO COMMON SIDE EFFECTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED with the proper use of this medicine." (Medi-Span, Inc.: Database Version 97.2. Data © 1997.)

This statement makes a fact perfectly clear: When used sensibly, T3 is extraordinarily safe among prescribed drugs. When I say extraordinarily safe, I’m comparing T3 with drugs such as the amitriptyline which your rheumatologist prescribes for you.

• Hi I will e mail you.

You may also like...