SHBG?

Hi all, I'm seeing an endo on Thursday as I have lots of health issues that MY GP's don't quite understand. I have a very elevated SHBG level. My GP thought I had thyroid problems but has said my blood test rules that out, which he was surprised about.

Does anyone know anything about high SHBG? I know it can be caused by hyperthyroidism, and that it might bind thyroid hormones?

Any insight greatly appreciated. I am a 21 year old woman and I've been ill with vague but steadily worsening symptoms for over 4 years now and desperate for some answers. I'd like to see my Endo with as much knowledge as possible! Thank you xxx

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, what is SHGB and it would also help if you could get your blood results and post them on here for people to comment on. Ask your doctor for a copy of your bloods with reference ranges or ask the receptionist if she could print them off. It is your right to have these results. x

• A bit of info for you that might help you or your GP

SHBG has both enhancing and inhibiting hormonal influences. It decreases with high levels of insulin, growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), androgens, prolactin and transcortin. High estrogen, and thyroxine cause it to increase.

As another example anti-psoriatic drugs that inhibit TNF-alpha cause an increase in SHBG. The common downstream mechanism for all of these, including the effect of thyroid hormones[12] was downregulation of a whole group of regulating proteins

Blood values[edit]

Reference ranges for blood tests for SHBG have been estimated to be:

Patient typeRange

Adult female, premenopausal40 - 120 nmol/L

Adult female, postmenopausal28 - 112 nmol/L

Adult male20 - 60 nmol/L

Age 1 - 23 months60 - 252 nmol/L

Prepubertal (24m - 8y)72 - 220 nmol/L

Pubertal female36 - 125 nmol/L

Pubertal male16 - 100 nmol/L

You may also like...