eye consultant letter to gp

I have been suffering with blister under the eye lid and black spots in my vision very dry sore eyes, it got so bad I went to A and E , who referred me to the eye clinic, I had lots of tests, they concluded that I was to have a regime of artificial tears and a steroid eye drops, and a muscle relaxant drop alongside to help with the pain, they now say it is all to do with my thyroid and have written to my doctor to say so. she has still only done a tsh blood test and it has come back with ,92 and has lowered my dose of levothyroxine from 100mcgs. to 75mcgrms and since being on this dose my eyes have started being sore and painful I have itchiness and a rash on one arm, I have severe joint pain especially in my hands and hip now I have a feeling of a lump in my throat and croaky, help!! does anyone here know if this is the cause of my probs by my gp lowering my meds ?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Joan

Sorry you are having such problems, particularly with your eyes. it would appear that most GPs know little about treating the patient with a thyroid gland dysfunction except for adjusting the dose according to the TSH. The rarely ask or know about clinical symptoms.

First, get a print-out of your most recent blood test results with the ranges and post for comments.

Our TSH varies throughout the day and it is impossible to diagnose just by it alone. It sounds to me as if you need an increase in medication, not a reduction. Your GP should have requested a T4 and T3 blood test because if you are deficient in either, you will not get well. Some labs don't do T3 if TSH is in the 'normal range'. Normal in no way means the patient is in normal health but, according to some GPs they believe so. The patient is then treated for the symptom and not the cause, i.e. low thyroid hormones.

There is an Eye Disease, called Thyroid Eye Disease, or TED for short but it is usually connected to hyperthyroidism and I don't know if you are hypo or hyper from your Profile. I assume you are hypo as symptoms sound so.

If you can get a copy with the ranges and post others will comment.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Thankyou,

You may also like...