partial thyroidectomy

I had a partial thyroidectomy around 10 years ago. I had a large multi-nodular goiter, this had been needle biopsied and the results came back as 'inconclusive'. I was recommended to have the surgery. The tests results came back clear. Following the surgery I was told that my thyroid levels were fine & you could live happily with only 10% of your thyroid, without taking any medication. Initially , I went back every 6 months or so to have my thyroid levels re-checked. Again, I was told they were within the normal range and after a couple of years I was told I didn't need to be tested. However, since the surgery I have gained weight, been extremely tired and suffered constantly with pins & needles in hands (this wakes me up at night) & my feet get so cold. I had extremely heavy periods (I know that's a symptom) but had a endometrial ablation two years ago, which seems to have sorted that problem!

At the moment I could happily crawl into bed at 3pm everyday.... Everything seems such an effort. The turn in the weather hasn't helped! I have read books & articles about thyroid problems, in many of them people seem to complain they aren't taken seriously because there levels look OK on paper, but they still feel unwell. Does anyone have this problem?

2 Replies

• Welcome to the forum, Pop007.

'Normal' is a very broad range which is why we advise members to obtain a printout of their thyroid bloods results from the GP receptionist or Practice Manager and post them with the lab ref ranges (the figures in brackets after the results) for comment/advice.

Your symptoms sound like low thyroid but pins and needles and numbness in extremeties can also be due to B12 deficiency. Ask your GP to test ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate as hypothyroid patients are often deficient/low and these deficiencies can cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood similar to hypothyroid symptoms. Post your results with the lab ref ranges (the figures in brackets after your results) in a new question and members will advise whether supplementation is required.

• Thank you

You may also like...