Blue Horizon thyroid test - when is the best time to do it?

I'm really hoping my home test (finger prick) will arrive today as I wanted to take results to first endo appointment next week.

What is the best time to do it, as somebody mentioned really early morning is best, for a better reading. Trouble is, if it does arrive today, that means waiting until tomorrow and consequently the results might be late in. My appointment is Tuesday.

1 Reply

• We usually recommend no meds until after blood test and have test as early as possible as TSH is higher then.

This is an extract from

NB: Dr Bayliss tells us in his book Thyroid Disease: the facts "Do not take any thyroxine on the day when you go for your check-up and have a blood sample taken. The reason for this is that for about 4 hours after ingesting a tablet of thyroxine, the blood level of thyroxine peaks and will give a spuriously high reading". Other doctors I have asked tell me that it makes no difference. You decide!!

I should think you would have blood test results back by Monday. They usually email results but you can check with them.

You may also like...