Thyroid auto-antibodies

Hi everyone

I am new here and was told several years ago (about 1999) that I have thyroid auto-antibodies. Since then all thyroid tests have been within normal ranges.

I started taking meds for acid reflux in 1999; HBP (Lisinopril and Bendroflumethiazide) and high cholesterol (Atorvastatin) in 2010 and now Amitriptyline with painkillers for arthritis. I feel tired and sluggish most days. I was very overweight for many years but since January 2012 I have lost 4 stones with Weightwatchers. I stopped the Bendroflumethiazide last summer.

Since last summer I have stopped losing weight despite staying with the weightwatchers plan and it seems I am gaining again which really scares me, as I don't want to go back. The latest blood test still puts my levels within normal ranges for thyroid.

Does anyone else have a similar situation to me with the antibodies and having normal ranges? Does it necessarily lead to a thyroid problem?

Sorry about the lengthy post and hope I've given enough info for a response.

15 Replies

• Welcome to our forum,

The first thing you have to do is each time you have a blood test, always ask for a print-out or copy with the ranges (labs differ for some reason) as it makes it easier to comment. What the GP's deem 'normal range' isn't always normal for us. If you are due a new test also ask for Vit B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate too.

Someone will comment re your antibodies but your other symptoms appear to be clinical symptoms of hypothyroidism.

• Thank you. I'll do that when I next see the GP. Regards, Jax

• Get in Touch ID like to ask what your resolution was. I also take pantoprazole for acid reflux can't exist without them - horrendous acid heartburn

• Are you taking any thyroid meds ? If your tests results were within the ranges - what were they ? - at the top, middle or bottom of their ranges ?

Yes I have antibodies which were discovered in 2005 and at the same time the TSH FT4 and FT3 were all within their ranges. A scan at the same time revealed nodes and so I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and treatment began. I can't help thinking that your other conditions have been caused by the thyroid being undertreated or untreated.

Well done on losing the weight - a huge effort. Cholesterol - in days gone by - was treated by treating the thyroid...low thyroid hormones can impact the liver and things become sluggish. Acid Reflux - often the opposite in Hypo people - there is a post I have just answered - Mollie61 about the Mercola Newsletter this morning. If the arthritis is RA then as that is auto-immune then that too could be connected to the Thyroiditis.

If the anti-bodies you had in 1999 were thyroid anti-bodies - then they will slowly destroy the thyroid activity. Please try and obtain copies of your latest blood tests and their ranges. Something is not quite right.

Have you had B12 Ferritin Folate Iron VitD tested. They all need to be HIGH in their ranges for you to feel well...

The tablets you are taking for your 'possible ' acid reflux will be causing problems for your B12 - no wonder you are tired.....I know so much to learn when you are feeling tired. Go to the main website of where you will be able to learn so much and then you will be well prepared to ask the right questions of your GP on your next visit....

Stay with this forum - and with lots of people who are so knowledgeable - and you will soon feel well....

• Hi Marz and thanks for such an informative reply. I'll certainly try and find out what my levels are. I've not had the B12 etc tests as far as I know and I don't take any vitamin supplements or anything other than that listed. I've tried coming off the Omeprazole as it's long since been down to 10mg. However, if I do stop the reflux is back within a day.

I'm told my arthritis is osteo and not severe but bad enough to cause pain. My knees are particularly painful but that could be wear and tear from being overweight and I shall have to live with that.

I don't have any meds for treating thyroid. The test back in 1999 showed thyroid auto-antibodies. I went to the doctor because I was feeling so tired all the time and my menstrual cycle had become haywire. Previously I was regular as clockwork. Two years later I was referred for and had a total hysterectomy (incl ovaries) as my GP said I had fibroids. When I had the op the surgeon said my womb was not particularly bad and it may just have been a mechanical problem.

Did you realise you had nodes? Ie: did you have problems swallowing or did your throat feel lumpy? Mine doesn't but I often feel food and drink goes down the wrong way. I also suffer very much with IBS and have always been a bit 'colicky'.

I'll start looking at the sites you give above too. I think I have a lot to learn although I don't seem to take in info so easy as I used to nowadays. Must be getting old!

Much appreciated.

• Can quite understand how difficult it is to learn so much - so take it a step at a time. Think it best to make a TO DO list and then tick off as you go :-) Your brain WILL work better when you are being optimally treated for the thyroid....and the B12 is around 800 or more ...

In response to your reply I would like to think that VitD would help the knee pain and once on Thyroid medication your acid reflux should ease. I am devastated to learn that you had to endure an hysterectomy - when it could well have been your untreated thyroid that was causing the problem. I too suffered from fibroids and decided to weather the storm until menopause - difficult but it worked. Having had so much surgery I did not want another - see profile :-)

I had absolutely no idea I had nodes - and knew nothing about how the thyroid affects every cell in your body. Some of my past history could have been spared had I had the knowledge I have today. So much learnt from the good people on this forum and from the links that are suggested. I still struggle to read a very long article on screen - often better to print it all off and go and lie down for a read :-) Information just gives you the confidence to be politely firm with your GP.

I had Crohns diagnosed some 40 years ago. ( Low VitD ? ) so am aware how the gut and thyroid are connected. When the Thyroid produces the ACTIVE hormone T3 - most of what is in the body is taken up by the receptors in the brain - and the second highest demand is in the gut lining/immune system. So it does make sense that if the T3 is low then things will start to go wrong. IBS is just a syndrome - it may just help to give up gluten - it will also assist the auto-immune aspect.

Regarding your blood-test results - it is your legal right to have copies so you can then monitor your progress - and more importantly take control of your health. I live in Crete - so we keep all our own medical records - blood tests and scans etc. - somehow things seems easier here....

So I would start with ringing the Receptionist and asking for copies of all your recent blood tests and their ranges.....

Ensure that the following are tested :- B12 - Ferritin - Folate - Iron - VitD - all these need to be HIGH in their ranges....

Thyroid Function Tests :- TSH - FT4 - FT3 Anti-TPO Anti-Tg - .....a TSH over 2.5 needs further investigation. If the FT4 and the FT3 are low in the range then again further investigations needed.... Regarding the anti-bodies - it will be interesting to see where they are compared to 1999.

I really feel you have been poorly cared for by your GP and no one has sat down with you and looked at the bigger picture and how your conditions could possibly be connected. The PPI's could have caused lasting damage - when it could well have been thyroid treatment that was required. I too have had a long journey to wellness - now at 67 I am finding so many answers and solutions and can now do the dot-to-dot the Docs failed to do in those early's never too late ....but I'm afraid we have to do a lot for ourselves.

Is it possible to have all these tests done privately ? - maybe it would speed things up and you will not be at the mercy of the labs - who may or may not do all the tests. This is a common problem in the UK - costs ?

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.... and keep reading :-) Sorry if I sound bossy - don't mean to and have a lot to say so sometimes it comes over a little brusque :-)

M x

• You're not bossy - quite the opposite actually and very helpful. I'm endeavouring to take it all in although, like you, I need to have these things in print and go through them slowly.

I'll go back to the surgery and see if I can get a copy of my 1999 results. I'm not sure they'll have them as they've gone over to this new system they don't seem able to use. However, one of the receptionists has had thyroid surgery herself and knows stuff, so I might get her onside.

Thanks so much, it really is most appreciated. Xxx

• Hi Marz

The only info I've managed to weedle out of the surgery is that the ranges used are: TSH 0.3 - 5.5 and T4 10 - 22.

My last test in Nov 2013:

TSH = 4.1 (Nov 2009 it was 1.9)

T4 = 16 (Nov 2009 it was 15)

Hope that makes sense and thanks, again, for your help.

Please could you tell me how to find the mollie61 post as I don't seem able to do that on my iPad.

Jax xx

• OK - the TSH is not at the TOP of the range - but as I have just mentioned in my previous post - anything over 2.5 warrants further investigation. This information is available on the main Thyroid UK website - under the heading - Understanding Blood Tests..... Your FT4 could be higher - but sadly no FT3 test which is what the T4 turns into and is the ACTIVE hormone and needed in trillions and trillions of cells in the body ! People with Hashimotos often have conversion problems with converting T4 into T3 - so it would be useful to know that too.....

Will send you a link for mollie61.....

M x

• Hi Jaxona,

To tackle gut problems which can exacerbate thryoid difficulties watch what you eat like a hawk. I have completely ditched wheat, (no more acid problems at all) careful about booze, little caffeine, take aloe vera, natural yoghurt (easy peasy to make) and L-glutamine for gut health along with probiotics...x

• Hi Tilly and thanks for your reply. I do find bloating is bad with wheat but then most foods seem to do that also. I think, maybe, the statin plays a part in that.

I've tried making yoghurt as I love it so much but never seem to have any success. Any tips would be welcome please. Xx

• Here we go, easy peasy recipe. Two pints full fat milk, heat to boiling and as it rises in pan, turn off heat. Leave to cool so that you can put a finger in without screaming for about 10 seconds. Add two heaped tablespoons of Live yoghurt (mix with bit of warm milk first), add two tablespoons of dried milk powder (this makes it creamy)... I put this in a very large flask - it is for yoghurt making so easy to use and eight hours later lovely yoghurt, keep a bit for next batch. If you haven't got this kit then in tupperware box, wrap up like baby and put somewhere toasty (airing cupboard) and should work too xx

• Bless you, thanks and I will give that a go. Xx

• Hi Tilly

Made the yoghurt and it came out a treat, thanks so much. I made the low fat version with skim milk and still used skim milk powder with an organic yoghurt (Yeo Valley). Really pleased with it. Xx

• Brilliant, so pleased, personally I love full fat milk... you can make it even thicker like Greek yoghurt if you have the patience and let it drip through some muslin..... it's a lot cheaper to make and better tasting than bought stuff..... if after a few batches it gets a bit thinner just start another lot off with fresh batch of live yoghurt there is lovely little book available called The yoghurt cookbook by arto der haroutunian with 200 recipes that will keep you making batches... x

You may also like...