Can someone please explain to me about the thyroid blood tests- I keep going back, feeling awful, I am getting nowhere! :(

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago- I got told my TPO antibodies were strongly positive at >1000. Since I had an ultrasound and was told that my thyroid is dead. I feel horrendous- I am 20 and some days I cannot even get out of bed.

Apparently my levels are right but I am still feeling awful. What can I do? I keep going to the doctors and they are telling me I am depressed- I know I'm not, other than being ill, I have no reason to be depressed. I feel like I did when I was diagnosed with my underactive thryoid. It then went overactive.

I am loosing the will to live!!!!! Please help!

10 Replies

• I really want to reply to you but am new to all this and can't help. I don't want you to feel ignored though so massive hugs I hope you get some answers x maybe present at A&E or primary care and demand they give you some help x

• thank you!!! x

• Firstly try to get hold of your blood tests,i got all mine dating back to 2003. Then post some on here they maybe able to give you some advice.

• Thank you :) x

• You are entitled to a copy of your blood tests and get one each time for your own records. Just ask the surgery for a copy. They cannot refuse. If you have been told your thyroid gland is dead, why haven't the given you levothyroxine. Are you under the care of an Endocrinologist or just the GP.

It's no wonder they tell you you are depressed, anyone is if their thyroid gland is not functioning as it should.

Your instinct is working as you know yourself that something other than the GP's diagnosis is the cause.

We all have to read and learn as much as possible in order to learn how to get better. Unfortunately, many GP's have no idea.

If you haven't had a recent thyroid gland blood test request one due to the fact that you feel so unwell, also ask for a vitamin B12, Vitamin D, iron, ferritin and folate as they can be low too and post the results in a new question.

If it is your thyroid gland that's causing you to feel so unwell, you can get better but it is a

gradual process till you get to enough medication.

• Sorry, I have been given levothyroxine, but still feeling horrific! And just my GP, they are very reluctant to send anyone to an Endocrinologist, I am at a university surgery.

Thank you so much :) x

• Post your thyroid gland blood test results, with the ranges, on a new question and members will comment. Many GP's do not understand how unwell we can feel, they just diagnose usually by looking at the blood test results rather than taking account of clinical symptoms.

• I think this doctor makes sense in these two, five-minute videos. There are twenty more if you feel you can gain something by watching them.

• Thank you! :) I will watch these tonight! x

• If your Thyroid is dead you should be on full replacement hormone, just as if you had had a total thyroidectomy.

You would swing from hyper to hypo as it was being attacked - that's what the high antibodies indicate, an autoimmune response. (IMHO) Did the doc tell you that?

No wonder you feel horrendous. Also things you can sort yourself (as Shaws says) are your vitamins/minerals (building blocks to health)- please get your test results and supplement accordingly if low - if doc won't prescribe them (he should) and he should investigate further. Other things to help - eat well, a variety of food (no crap!) and eat regularly (goes without saying really) and perhaps avoiding gluten (e.g. bread) may help calm those antibodies down.

You have the right to your tests results (all your health records actually per the data protection act) - if you can post them, more knowldgeable folk can respond to help. best wishes Jane :D

You may also like...