Is it really this hard to get results?

I had a synachten test on the 2nd sept. I phoned the secretary to the gastro consultant I am under who told me they had the results but they had to be seen by consultant and he would write with results. That was on the 5th sept. today the 13th Friday I still haven't heard so I phone the secretary again, they say the results went out on the 6th. Gp hasn't received a thing, why can't they just read what the consultants letter says?

8 Replies

• Confidentiality? The results for a blood test were back, the receptionist wouldn't tell me

anything because the GP hadn't seen them. What made it more annoying was the

fact that I rang on a Friday, and he wasn't back in until the following Tuesday!

• I have just got the gp surgery to read the fax results.... They were all normal.... All this secrecy makes you worry.... It would be much better to have the results emailed directly to us!! Oh well...

• There's a general case argument to say GPs are better at telling the news of results to reduce worry and alarm.

As it's also a good way to hide inefficiencies too, it can be misused - and how could you possibly tell the difference?

I think you have the right to results but not before medical judgements -when delay could be justified.

• Possibly.

But it is a matter of luck/chance/fate whether the "result" is something that is relatively subtle and needs tests or investigation or a more obvious thing which anyone understands.

We already have numerous things we can tell about ourselves - some have always been with us (the pox of smallpox, the cough of tuberculosis), others are more technological (temperature, blood pressure, blood sugar). Some of these are or were devastating.

That other things require a laboratory or an MRI machine means that other people are necessarily involved. But does that mean they have any right to delay or otherwise interfere with you finding out?

At the same time, it most certainly might be helpful to have someone able to explain and support.

Very difficult in extreme circumstances.

• I think the system is open to casual abuse.

If the reason for witholding is a good one then fair enough- but the default position should be open access- unless the Dr has instructed otherwise.

Then that should be explained,even at the risk of causing distress.

Plenty are distressed by not knowing their results, anyway.

patients are not generally naughty children -but get treated the same!

• Yes - I suspect the distress of waiting and not knowing is rather dismissed by "them".

To have the anxiety of the wait, albeit at the lowest end of the scale, even for the relatively uncontroversial things like "What was my TSH last week?" is unnecessary and is disrespectful of the patient.

• Yes, why can't they e-mail? Earlier this week there was an article in the Daily Mail about

making our info available to certain parties in case of accident etc. Initially I was inclined

to think this was a great idea. Obviously essential in cases of allergies. After thinking it

over, I'm wondering if it would be open to potential abuse of the personal information.xBeryl

p.s. just to say the post from tegc popped up as I posted this, I have to say I agree.

• Also to add to this....The other day I popped back to my health centre to get a copy of my blood tests, I have a copy of all of them, the young girl when asked for my results said...." ah yes they are all normal all is fine"" to which I replied

" good grief it is a miracle I am cured" when I persisted and said I wanted a printed copy I asked the young lady to perhaps not be so quick to tell anyone the results of the test in maybe this is an argument for non medical staff NOT to give out results especially admin staff......the scourge of the NHS.....

You may also like...