Why is it important not to have Addison's disease whilst on thyroxine?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism following a long drawn out battle with gp in 2010, small dose thyroxine given slightly improved in my health but slowly it declined to the point now , I never feelhungry and have lost almost 2 stone over the last year, I have very brown skin patches and white which I presume is vitiligo and as no gp has asked me if I have any, after many tests they have carried out a synachten test on Monday, now to wait for results. Does anyone know how long it will be before they come back if Addison's disease is diagnosed.

Thank you

Heather

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I got told within days mine was normal but it varies from lab to lab. I was convinced I had addisons because I also had all the symptoms, but it came back negative, and the NHS doesn't test or even accept the existence of adrenal fatigue, which is almost certainly what I had. Try not to worry about it until the results are back

Also I always lose weight when I'm hypo, and completely go off food. Not everyone puts on weight, if you havnt had your thyroid levels checked for a little while it may be worth while having this done too. If you were on a low dose, and felt better then went down hill, chances are you needed the dosage raised.

• I am on 75mcg daily and I know my bloods were normal very recently, so it can't be that, did you have brown and white pigmentation and in the creases of your arm and brown new scarring too?

• yes, still do :)

• forgot to add, that I didnt get any appetite back or put on weight until I changed to armour, infact I lost more on levo, and considering I was already underweight, that wasnt a good idea

• Thank you for the reply, I am a bit concerned as to all this leading to not know what is wrong, I hope in a way it is addisons at least I will get to see an endo at long last ... I am only eating around 500-800 calories per day and that's counting complan.... The docs just don't seem interested at all.... I am finding it hard to cope with everyday activities and haven't worked for a few years, I am only 50 I want my health back ... How did you get help?

Thank you

Heather

• I self medicate. Not advising anyone else to do this, there are big downsides to it, but I had the option of treat myself or die, so I do, and have never looked back

• Thank you. I have just phoned regarding my blood test results, they are waiting for the consultant to look at them but I presume they are normal because she said that the gastro consultant would see me again in 3 months. So..... I can assure you that I will be self medicating if it is that the results were normal because I know I can't carry on a normal life like this so will be looking at advice for self medicating then. Hopefully he may refer me to a endo consultant at the very least.

Thank you

Heather

You may also like...