Hypo now?

On 40mg Carbimazole for hyperactive thyroid.

Blood test results today show Serum free T3 level of 3.1 (range 3.5-6.5) low. Was 10.4 three months ago!

Serum TSH level 74 mu/L (0.35-5.0) high. Was suppressed three months ago.

Consultant had doubled my Carbimazole from 20mg to 40mg! Having three months previously halved it from 40mg to 20mg!

Am I correct in thinking I am now hypo?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good grief, what is your endo thinking? You are definitely hypo, how do you feel? What's your T4?

I can only speak from my own experience, and I started out on a lower dose than you (15mg), but my endo only changes my dose by 5mg at a time. I'm private, have monthly blood tests, and still went hypo, so it is common. However, my TSH was still low and he was trying to get it to increase when I went hypo, yours has gone massively the other way.

You look hugely overmedicated, has he asked you to reduce again? Swinging between hyper and hypo like that puts a massive strain on the body - I would get that dose reduced and consider looking for a different endo.

• Think he wanted to shock me into having RAI because I have steadfastly refused up to now!

Also I see him on the NHS, would you believe he is also a well known private endo. The original endo I saw had 3 flags. This one has 9 - which is dependent on his expertise!

I see him on Wednesday to go through the results. Funnily enough, I feel more relaxed than I have for a long time but am very tired come the afternoons and wake up in the middle of the night having a major hot flush. Back in March my Free T4 was 24.6 but this time it hasn't been tested! The blood tests via my GP are so inconsistent and because they've gone electronic, I can't look at the paperwork beforehand and add any tests. I just knew something was different and in a way I'm pleased that my bloods proved me right. Let's just say that I shall be telling him what I want from now on and that he needs to listen to his patients. Thank you so much for replying.

Nowhere is really talking about the high levels of TSH.

• Forgot to mention I was diagnosed with Graves 4 years ago and have multinodular goiter!

You may also like...