Has anyone tried improving liver function to ai... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
103,394 members119,516 posts

Has anyone tried improving liver function to aid T4-T3 conversion?

Fortniteplayer
Fortniteplayer
11 Replies

I'm reading that liver function is important in this process. I was wondering if anyone had tried anything such as Nutri Liver Support, milk thistle, raw juice etc with any success?

11 Replies
oldestnewest
hooper

Hi Hayface. I did try milk thistle back in september of last year but showed an allergy towards it and had to stop taking it. I've not tried anything else for improving liver function since except I take a vit B complex and I befieve vit B5 helps out the liver. You'll get some help with your question shortly I'm sure. Take care....

Jen x

Jackie

Hi I see a top Hepatologist ( liver) there is no way liver function can be improved, be wonderful for all of those of us with serious liver problems if there were and some one would be a millionaire!

Best wishes,

Jackie

Jackie

As a rider to this, if fatty liver that is different and caused by high cholestrol, if so, low cholesterol would improve the fatty liver. Not quite the same thing.

Jackie

1 like
lisabax
lisabax
in reply to Jackie

Hi Jackie, is there any 'scientific' evidence to link high cholesterol with fatty liver and to link that with poor T4 conversion? I have both high cholesterol, fatty liver and a whole host of hypo symptoms in spite of good blood tests results. But I do have a listening endo. If I can point him in the direction of some research, he might be willing to consider NDT. Thank you, Lisa

Jackie
Jackie
in reply to lisabax

Lisa, I am sorry , it is some thing my Hepatologist always says, but as does not apply to me, I have never researched. However, look on The Mayo clinic, USA , only site consultants like, very good, always correct. Also cholesterol is in Endo`s remit , so as you say good, ask , he will know, If not a good doctor admits that and will find out,they have an enquiring mind ( like me!) Most Endo `s first choice is T4 and T3, ( depending on results and how you are ), then armour, second choice for lots of reasons, not least most GP`s will not normally prescribe it so private script etc. only if liver is quite bad does it show in LFT`s ( liver function) and then as such a good organ they have to be quite "out" to matter. When "out" they effect very blood test etc. anticoagulation and especially then U`s and E`s ( kidney) are important.Discuss with endo about seeing a Hepatologist, very few usually at hospitals that thinks they know about liver ( low opinion, justified).If your T4 and Ft3 definitely right , then the cholesterol should lower, otherwise statins, they have a bad press but are life savers if needed. I have always had low cholesterol but after 4 cardiac arrests etc etc I take statins and have for years, they have never effected my thyroid as was hypo long before.I have loads of thyroid tests because of my heart, so, I can tell easily.

Also for low cholesterol have oats and an apple daily, apart form the obvious low fat things.I hope that helps.

Jackie

lisabax
lisabax
in reply to Jackie

immensely helpful Jackie. Thank you, Lisa

sallyb

Hi, I have wondered the same thing myself for sometimes and coincidentally yesterday I had an appointment to see a doctor who is also a qualified acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist. He left the NHS many years ago because of the number of people, like us, he was unable to help with pharmaceutical drugs . Apparently he has been able to help many more people back to health thorough the combination of therapies and his knowledge as a qualified doctor. I must say the hour I spent in his surgery was really enlightening apart from anything. He said to expect to see improvement in about six weeks, so I will keep you posted.

I just think it is important to keep moving things on if possible and it seems to me like a plausible combination of therapies. We`ll see!

God Bless

Sally

traceytired

Selenium helps convert T4 to T3. It can be found in Brazil nuts, but can also be purchased as a supplement. For me, it has been a miracle cure. See the article: chriskresser.com/selenium-t...

1 like
LAHs
LAHs
in reply to traceytired

Yes, Selenium is the necessary catalyst (enzyme) which will facilitate the T4 to T3 conversion process.

cein

Hi, I found a link on Utube to a guy called Eric Berg one of the links has different eating plans on whats good, what's bad for different conditions ie; liver, thyroid, adrenal etc; etc;

Fortniteplayer

Lots of reading. I'll have a look at milk thistle. I rarely drink and have low cholesterol so doubt it's my liver, but anything to try and improve things. I've also read progesterone is a big player in conversion - anyone else thought about trying a progesterone cream or anything?

You may also like...