Ibs?: I’ve just spoken to my dr again, I’ve been... - IBS Network

IBS Network

38,628 members12,969 posts

Ibs?

Rosie_S profile image

I’ve just spoken to my dr again, I’ve been taking alflorex for 6 weeks and no change, my bloods and stool tests I’ve had in the past few months all came back normal, she said I won’t meet the criteria for a colonoscopy, she said the last thing I could try is fibrogel, has anyone tried this?

I am also being referred to a gastroenterologist but as none urgent so could be a while! I suggested IBS she said it might be or could be colitis (been going on since May where my symptoms seemed to appear over night).

I usually wake up between 5-6am I go to the toilet maybe once or twice stools 5/6 on the Bristol Scale, sometimes get back pain and lower abdominal pain. Then that’s it til the next day. She said it could be what’s just normal for me now.

I’ve also had an abdominal ultrasound, and gallbladder scanned which was all normal. (They found a cyst on my kidney which was is apparently normal, so there’s no concerns there).

24 Replies

I hate that you'll have to wait, but a meeting with a gastroenterologist would be a good next move. Good luck!

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to winfong

Thank you, it’s now waiting….

Hi Rosie_S, probiotics never did anything for me, nor did fybrogel. In fact I can't think of anything that has really done anything for me! But I'm a lost cause.

I'm a bit confused as you say your GP said you would not meet the criteria to have a colonoscopy but you are also being referred to a gastroenterologist and then said you may have colitis. If your doctor thinks you may have colitis, you should be referred to a gastroenterologist who would then perform a colonscopy. Well, that's what my understanding of it is.

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Maureen1958

Aw bless you. 🥰

That’s what I thought too. She said all my bloods and stool samples were normal so wouldn’t meet the criteria for a colonoscopy and it would get rejected. She said if it was an infection or something it would have cleared up or maybe she just doesn’t know, she also said it wouldn’t hurt to carry on taking the probiotics for 6 more weeks, I just want to know what’s wrong or maybe I ll never know.

Rosie_S profile image

I’ve looked up colitis and I don’t think I have that.

Maureen1958 profile image
Maureen1958 in reply to Rosie_S

No, after reading your posts, I didn't think it sounded like colitis. I looked up microscopic colitis because I wondered if that was what your doctor was meaning but that doesn't sound like what you have either.

I've just noticed that your 37, did you have anything going on in your life that might have caused this. Mine started when my first marriage was on the rock and then I got food posioning!

Rosie_S profile image

Thank you for replying, I don’t think I have masses of stress in my life (obviously the last two years have been a bit weird for everyone!), I work full time in animal rescue and that’s stressful in it’s self. And I always worry about my health. My family live quite far away from where we live too. Someone I know thinks it might be related to generalised anxiety? But I’ve never had a panic attack or been sick, or even been to hospital other than an ultrasound earlier in the year which came back normal. Generally i think I’m fairly healthy. And lift weights 3 times a week for the past 4 years. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Do you think you could have eaten something that could have kicked this off!?

Rosie_S profile image

No my diet hasn’t changed we aren’t that adventurous with food 😂 and have pretty much the same every week, I did think it might have been a mild curry I’d had but I’ve had it since and been fine.

Sorry, I can't think of anything else it could be, it doesn't sound too bad at the moment, I would suggest you just go with it for now and see what the gastro says when you see him/her. The only other thing I can think of is the nerva app. Hypnotherapy, doesn't work for me but it does work for some people. As it is relatively new to you, it may work. Once IBS gets a hold, it harder to shake off!

Rosie_S profile image

Thank you, it does help to chat about it. It’s not gotten any worse and the pain isn’t bad. When it first started I felt quite bloated but not so much anymore. I feel bad I know people have it a lot worse than me. It’s just not knowing

Feel free to contact me on Chat if you want to talk anytime.

Do you think the probiotics could be making things worse? Why not try and stop them for a while and see if things improve

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to edwangy

I’m not sure really, things are about the same no worse

Prebiotic can make things worse. They are good at making you regular which they seem to be doing shame it is at night. Do they tell you when is the best time to take it.? I tried fibrogel it made me worse. Hope you can get to see a Gastro Doc soon. While you are waiting it maybe worth keeping a food and Sympton diary so you can show the Doc what is happening. All the best Rosie x

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Sparrow58

I’ve taken the probiotics am for a month, now taking them pm. No change but no worse really so I don’t really know what’s wrong it’s just frustrating.

IBS is frustrating

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Sparrow58

Yes it is and now I have this dull stabbing pain on my abdomen left side just below my ribs

Does anyone know how long the fibrogel takes to work im on day 3 now and no change. Except I’m really dehydrated.

Unfortunately IBS is hard to treat, I get random bouts of constipation followed by diarrhoea quite frequently and have had a colonoscopy about 6 years ago, everything was OK, had hospital appointments including gastroologist all to no avail. I take probiotics and pysillium husks but they make little difference. I've had fybrogel which did nothing. If I have a bout which gives me cramping stomach pains I take mebeverine before meals which does help a bit with the pain but doesn't stop the toilet visits. Because I have been 'caught out' when out I tend to wear incontinence pants which at least give you a little more confidence and time to get to a toilet before the worst happens. I don't eat before going out now. I wish you luck.

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Haz999

Thank you. I suppose at least all my test came back normal. It’s just irritating not knowing what’s wrong and nothing seems to be helping.

Fybogel makes more solid stool. It's just fibre, really. It creates a big solid turd. Pre & Pobiotics are meant to help digestive systems processing foods better and keep things moving along. If you have diarrhea like IBS, then Fybogel should make the stool more solid. If the stool becomes too solid for you to pass comfortably, then you need to drink more water and possibly a little Lactulose (from a chemist/pharmacy aisle) to draw water into the stool, so it moves down the pipes and out the back passage more comfy. I would recommend you try:

(1) 1/2 sachet of Fybogel with water at lunchtime each day & no booze all day/night, for a full week. By the end of the week, check:

(1a) if your stool is still mushy, have a whole sachet of Fybogel at lunch each day.

OR

(1b) if your stool is not mushy but instead too bulky and hard to pass, try mixing it with a bit of Lactulose (at lunchtime as well), and drink a pint of water at night before bed. (Lactulose can make your farts loud, so don't over do it, or you'll sound like you are sitting on/carrying a whoppy cushion all the time)

OR

(1c) if your stool is fine, keep on going!

Booze can cause diarrhea, so no drinking booze while you try this out for a few weeks. Then take your chances to see what changes happen when drinking alcohol. For me, alcohol drys my pipes, but makes the stool soft, so it causes liquid or soft runny like stools, which sometimes come out urgently and sometimes stick to the pipes, and get stuck blocking wind, causing bloating and then diarrhea or urgency in passing anything. Garlic and onion also can give me booze like issues. Maybe skip those during these tests too.

Good luck!

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to T-e-z

Thank you for replying. I’ve been taking it for almost a week now but not much change.

The dr said take one sachet twice a day after a meal and continue with the alflorex for 6 more weeks

Meleber profile image
Meleber in reply to Rosie_S

Personally I would stop with a probiotic in case of no effect after 4 to 6 weeks.

You may also like...