FIT : Hi my dr wants me to do a FIT test, I am... - IBS Network

IBS Network

38,147 members12,816 posts

FIT

Rosie_S profile image

Hi my dr wants me to do a FIT test, I am now of course worried it’s something sinister, i am female, 37, my calprotein came back negative, I have a dull ache/pain in my stomach and lower back ache. I have lost 4-5 lbs in weight. But since may not lost anything and my weight is maintaining. My symptoms came on more or less quite sudden in may. Thanks. Any advice appreciated.

24 Replies

It's standard practice, you should be more concerned if they don't do one!

Hi I had to do a fit test not long back and was worried but all came back normal. I also was like you I and still struggling with stomach cramps and middle back pain . I lost 10lb in two weeks and I have put the weight back on now and most days look bloated with my stomach and now waiting to see a gastroenterologist . Try not to worry as GPS do this to just rule things out hope everything goes ok for you and let us know how u get on take care

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to 3443Ness

Thank you. :) I’m a bit worried about the weight loss but I’ve not lost anymore. What I’ve lost is a significant amount to me.

She did say they have to rule things out. I think the dr said if it’s negative I ll have a colonoscopy and if it’s positive I ll have an urgent referral.

3443Ness profile image
3443Ness in reply to Rosie_S

I know how worried you will be I was the same but was so relieved when I got my results back. I have had this flare up since January I was constantly on the loo with D and pain in my stomach was so bad I am now going through D and C which I have never had before and the pain in more in the middle of back feels like it's in my spine but it's constantly there even paracetamols r not taking the pain away I have got an appointment in October to see the gastroenterologist so hopefully I will get some answers soon. I now it's hard but stay positive try to stay away from Dr google as I was finding that I had everything when in there so don't look now take care and hope everything goes ok

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to 3443Ness

Ah bless you, I hope you get some answers, this has been going on since may. I get lower back pain. And lower abdominal pain, it’s more like a dull ache. I’ve not taken any pain relief. I’ve just started taking a probiotic on Saturday. Still feel the same.

3443Ness profile image
3443Ness in reply to Rosie_S

Mine is middle back feels like something is pulling on it at my spine it's such a weird pain hard to explain but then it goes in my right side aswell let's hope we both get sorted soon. I tried the probiotics but didn't help I'm on the low fodmap diet now and avoid foods which are on the no list I love onions and mushrooms but cannot have them anymore and there is loads of foods I like which most r on the high fodmap foods which I can no longer have IBS definitely changes ur life

Maureen1958 profile image
Maureen1958 in reply to Rosie_S

I think when this happens your body just naturally stops at a certain weight. This has happened to me twice now in my life and I remember worrying like mad about it at the time but each time it seems to have come to a limit and then stopped. Perhaps our bodies are cleverer than we think!

3443Ness profile image
3443Ness in reply to Maureen1958

It was good for losing weight I needed to lose afew pounds but like u Maureen I have regulated again with my weight hope your ok

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Maureen1958

I hope so. I’ve always been about 10,8. I went up to 11 stone last year. (I lift weights!) now I’m 10,2.

I’m assuming it’s normal but I’ve just collected the test and it says it’s a test for cancer and to do it ASAP. And my dr said it would take a few days to get the results but in the packet it says 10-14 days

The FIT test looks for blood (in stool). People over 60 are given them routinely now. My husband turned 60 this year and was sent one to do. He has a problem with piles, although he doesn't have IBS, but tried to wait for a time when the piles were not playing up so that the test did not detect blood. He didn't want to go down that aisle unnecessarily!

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to Maureen1958

I didn’t sleep well last night :( I’ve sent the test off

Maureen1958 profile image
Maureen1958 in reply to Rosie_S

That's good, now try and forget about it until you get the result, I'm sure all will be fine.

Had fit test couple weeks bk came bk abnormal now on cancer 2 week pathway having ct on 15th lm nervous but please god all will be ok

3443Ness profile image
3443Ness in reply to juniepoonie

Hope everything goes ok with ur CT scan and ur results come back normal

Rosie_S profile image
Rosie_S in reply to juniepoonie

I hope everything will be ok for you. What were your symptoms if you don’t mind me asking?

juniepoonie profile image
juniepoonie in reply to Rosie_S

Hi l have ibs I've changed from d to can have right side niggling pain under ribs! Doctor said let's do fit test an bloods ! Never seen blood in poop myself but test came back abnormal

Rosie_S profile image

How long did it take for the fit test to come back?

Couple days👍You done yours

Rosie_S profile image

Thanks. I put it in the post yesterday. The dr said a few days but the leaflet said 10-14 days.probably won’t be back before the weekend

I took mine back to doctors an it was collected an taken to lab so yours may take little longer

Rosie_S profile image

Ah ok the dr told me to put it in a priority post box. I thought it was a bit odd.

Good luck to say l was shocked at abnormal results is an understatement! I had never seen anything 🤦‍♀️

Hi all, my FIT test came back normal. Having another phone call with the dr on Friday to discuss what’s next.

You may also like...