What to ask my GP to prescribe me - ibs -d - IBS Network

IBS Network
28,090 members9,685 posts

What to ask my GP to prescribe me - ibs -d

Shofor
Shofor

Hi just wondering if anyone has been prescribed colestipol or Questran for ibs d which isn’t necessary BAM? I have multiple trips to the toilet every day on average 6/7 times usually mushy rather than watery (sorry tmi!) can’t deal with this anymore and looking to go back to my Gp and ask for something to help as all the relevant tests etc have come back clear! And he’s just said it’s ibs, is it worth asking for one of the above drugs or to try amitriptyline? Thanks😊

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi! :) I had that mushy diarrhoea, 6-10 times a day too but low fodmap diet fixed it, I think a gastro Dr gives those meds you're talking about? Perhaps ask to be referred to a gastro and also a dietitian? Hope you're able to get this managed soon :)

Shofor
Shofor
in reply to asbayford

Thanks for your reply! You sound like you had exactly what I’m experiencing. I think it must be linked to the food I eat the previous day as usually I go to the toilet continuously until about 2pm then I’m ok so lunch/dinner sit fine with me. I tried the low fodmap diet for a couple of weeks by myself and no improvement if anything it made the consistency worse! Maybe I should ask to be referred to a dietitian to help? Anyway I’m seeing gastro in a couple of weeks so will see what they say 🤞

asbayford
asbayford
in reply to Shofor

Best of luck for your gastro appointment! :) have you made a list of things you want to talk to him about/symptoms etc? I wish I made one when I saw mine Haha

Shofor
Shofor
in reply to asbayford

Thanks! Yes that’s a good idea il do that 😊have been keeping a good and symptom diary for the past week and will continue to do that until I see him - hopefully that will help them! Worried it will just turn out to be ibs and il have to live with it hopi they can at least prescribe me something!

What you are describing actually sounds like bam. I’ve suffered for years with bowel issues (25!) and was told it was IBS it must be what I was eating so cut out wheat and dairy with no changes. Over the last couple of years it got worse and worse changing from a couple of times a week from mushy to watery several times a day, so I was sent to gastro. They said it was bam straight away and I had a sehcat scan to confirm (the only test in the uk that confirms it) and was put on questran. Bam is the most misdiagnosed condition as a lot of doctors say it’s IBS. It can come on slowly over years. Please get checked properly as the malabsorption has meant I’ve been deficient in many vitamins for many years. I now have to have injections and various supplements for Vits D and B12, iron and potassium and I can’t maintain a level of good cholesterol so take 4 prescribed mega strength omacor tablets. There are also different triggers - I can’t eat anything fatty, oily fish goes through me, onions, mushrooms, caffeine, eggs, even salad sometimes gives me problems. Maybe keep a diary for a week or two, write everything you eat and drink, times, bowel movements then ask doctor to be referred to gastro. Good luck. Don’t leave it too long. X

Shofor
Shofor
in reply to jbrking

Thanks for your replies! Yeah this is happening to me every day usually stop by about 2pm and doesn’t see brought on by any good in particular as doesn’t happen after eating lunch or dinner for example so I reckon it’s probably caused from the previous days food? All my bloods came back fine so not deficient in any nutrients etc. Doctor has referred me to gastro as I’ve lost some weight my appointment is in 2 weeks so il defo ask about BAM. I’ve been keeping a food diary the past week and attempted low fodmap before but it seemed to make the consistency of my stool worse ☹️ Praying gastro can prescribe me something!

jbrking
jbrking
in reply to Shofor

Yes fodmap made me worse! Good luck and don’t leave without any answers! To be fair once you’re with gastro they will get to the bottom of it - pardon the pun!

Your doctor may not even have heard of BAM so don't be surprised. He/she will know about Questran because it is used in people with high cholesterol, but you may have to see a consultant, particularly if you haven't had a colonoscopy to rule anything else out. My gastroenterologist put me on Questran without the SeHcat test as he said my symptoms (for over 40 years) were strongly indicative of BAM and he preferred his patients to do a trial of medication. I did have a gastroscopy, colonoscopy and other tests before taking the medication. Since starting on Questran 18 months ago I have not had diarrhoea once and my life has been transformed. Good luck.

Shofor
Shofor
in reply to Whitesugar

Hi that’s good to hear and amazing you are now symptom free congrats! Fingers crossed I can trial the same or similar drug and get results as amazing!

Hi, it's worth asking, I am assuming your in the UK. It depends on your doctor. Some will let you try a sequestrant and see what happens, others like mine make you have the test. I think it depends on how near you are from a hospital that has the equipment to do it! If you are in US they don't do the test at all!

Shofor
Shofor
in reply to Maureen1958

Hi yes I am in Scotland and live in the city so I assume at least one of the hospitals would have the equipment! I will ask, almost hoping it is BAM as then I can get some treatment and hopefully things will improve!

Maureen1958
Maureen1958
in reply to Shofor

Yes, I thought the same but unfortunately it wasn't to be and I am stuck with an IBS diagnosis. I have heard mention on here that you have to reach the correct criteria and I guess I didn't. I assume there has to be a scale on which these things are measured. But I so wanted to get away from the IBS diagnosis because everyone thinks you are just making a big fuss about something trivial!! Plus the medication might have helped!

IBSNetwork
IBSNetworkAdministrator

If you need help and support with your IBS please get in touch. theibsnetwork.org

You may also like...