IBS Network

Intolerance tests?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on how to be accurately tested for an intolerance.

I have self diagnosed a dairy intolerance but I would like this to be confirmed. And also find out if there is anything causing me problems.

I don’t know how much I trust these ones I have found googling online. And I don’t want to spend loads of money on one that’s not genuine. Or have you been tested through the doctors? I don’t know what to ask for?

If anyone has found anything successful could you please share!

Thanks 😊

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Try York intolerance test , they are accurate , where I got mine done

1 like

Thank you 😊

Sorry never had one was advised by a gastroenterologist once if I really wanted to find out if I was intolerant I could pay privately for the tests, but he and my GP and the NHS would not recognise these tests and would not act on the,. I looked at the prices and at the time didn’t have the money. After many years and many eczema flares and IBS problems my GP is finally sending me for allergy sets. But he has chosen for me not to go to the two local hospitals 6 miles and 25 miles away, oh no 11/2 hours away! Think he is just testing to see if I will go.

Thank you, yeah that’s what im concerned about. So they do, do the tests on the NHS, but you think they’re reluctant to do so? Can’t believe they are sending you that far. I’d rather go through the doctors though than get one of the ones online to be honest though. 🤔

1 like

They will not do intolerance tests on the NHS! As they do not recognise the results and they suggest you might be intolerant but don’t really believe it.

Sorry to confuse you. I am having the patch test done on the NHS because of several severe allergic reactions. That has taken twenty odd years to get that!

Ah right I see! Ok thanks! 😊

1 like

I had a York test done if you do go ahead let me know as I've just received a £75 off voucher you can have but has to be used in the next couple of weeks.

2 likes

Hi I've just had one done through Bionetics it's £55 but worth it and I used them 18 years ago to confirm a dairy intolerance, which saved my life then. They test your hair follicles so its painless. It came back with some surprising results which I have now taken to my gp.

I got my results back in 3 days online, you just print them off.

Bionetics test 116 foods, they test for toxins and parasites, they also tell you which vitamins and minerals you are low on.

I had some surprising results I am intolerant to dairy from my previous test, but now am intolerant to soy, coffee, tuna, bananas, buckwheat, broccoli, cauliflower and tomatoes.

I would never have cut out some of those things, they really gave me my life back last time, hopefully this time will be the same.

I had bionetics testing. It very good as it also tells u what ur deficient in.

So i was intolerant to cowsmilk,gluten, yeast, brocoli and a few other things i cannot remember but it made no difference as didnt eat them anyway.

I was vitamin d deficient. Also had inflamtion in my body which i knew as i had ripped my bicep about 3 months before and it was painful so i was told to take msm and glucosamine.

All in all very good as soon as left i cleared my cupboards out and put them

In husbands and i went out and brought all new foods for me , months down line im good!! No more ibs

1 like

Hi. I went to my gp and asked to see a dietician for help with low fodmap as I was convinced something I was eating was the source of my problems. I was sent an appointment, questionnaire and food diary to complete. To my surprise the dietician suggested I was allergic to dairy, as opposed to lactose intolerant and the low fodmap changes I'd made myself included lactose free alternatives. I've been dairy free for two weeks now and there's a definite improvement. I have to stay off high fodmaps until the inflammation caused by the dairy has improved and that's something I wouldn't have realised if I did it alone. Not sure what the next step is when I go back in two weeks time but so far I feel confident with the help I'm getting from the dietician and I know the findings will be sent to my GP.

Little toad, yes it was hair samples, and they do test test for cows milk, goat and sheep as well as cheese.

I tried adding milk back in but can only tolerate in small quantities.

My recent test I only had done last week, so still trying to implement.

1 like

Thank you let's hope so need a break from the pain.

Hope you feel better too.

You may also like...