IBS Network
21,443 members7,292 posts

Low residue/ low fibre diet for ibs d

Has anyone tried cutting out all fibre from their diet with good results? I'm currently trying to do the low fodmap diet but I think my morning porridge may be adding to my problems.

I am constantly using the bathroom for at least the first three hours of my day. Seem to go more after any type of fibre ( oats, potatoes, carrots etc). I then have wind throughout the day.

When I've looked at the low residue diet though, it seems that white bread, cake, biscuits etc would be OK, but I'm wary of trying because it goes against the low fodmap diet rules.

Any helpful advice would be welcome.

Xxx

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, i find low fiber..no vegetables.. makes me feel normal. Fodmap is no help.

Hi, I have ibs-a and diverticular disease so fibre is my enemy lol. There are two types of fibre, soluable and insoluable, and you need both in your diet but need to get the balance right depending on which ibs you have. If you have ibs-c you need less insoluable fibre and if it's ibs-d you need more of it. It's confusing at first but once you know what foods have what fibre then you can work it out. Ibs is different for everyone and no one way of treating it is the same for everyone either. The fodmap diet is a good start but doesn't work for everyone. I have only a handful of foods on the fodmap diet that I can eat and many that are listed as high fodmap that my body is fine with. Trial and error was my best way of finding out but it's taken over 25 years to find out for definate as sometimes a certain food would affect me and sometimes it wouldn't.

Ibs is well known for the morning rush (going to the loo several times first thing) and this is usually after breakfast, as the act of eating tells your bowel to empty because it's about to receive it's next meal. A lot of people believe it's the food they've just eaten thats gone straight through them but food takes a few hours to travel.

Hope I've helped a little and not waffled on too much. ☺

2 likes

Foods sometimes affect you sometimes not, I often wonder if that is because of the combination of foods? Or spices added in one meal but not another? It is complete trial and error I agree! 😁

Yes I have a very low fibre diet - white bread (I make myself in a bread machine) white pasta, white rice etc. As a child I was given bran on absolutely everything and I understand that it is now accepted this very commonly prescribed solution to tummy problems back in the 70s caused extreme sensitivity to fibre. I would certainly agree! I love granary bread but it really doesn't love me! I do eat granola (again I make it myself) every morning to give me some fibre ( I think it's a soluble fibre and easier on the body?) and it has plenty of nuts in it which I have no problems with. I find fruit is a massive problem and so don't eat any - are you putting fruit on your porridge? On the whole veggies are fine apart from peas for me. So yes it can be done but just need to get a little fibre from somewhere in my experience 😀

I try to cut out a lot of fibre, plus try and do some of fodmap. Its difficult to do both completely! Have only white bread, rice etc. Only eat bananas and blueberries as fodmap say. Difficult as i do have constipation, so for that they always recommend fibre. Have linseed(flax), which is the right sort of fibre, plus laxido sometimes (movicol)

Ok, so for the last couple of days I have cut out fibre but still eaten low fodmap foods like gluten free pasta, biscuits, Rice Krispies etc. No improvement. If anything, more bms dragged out over a longer period! I would love to have less bms in the morning and be able to get out of the house quicker! There must be a balance and finding the right fibre for me.

I'm now beginning to suspect the bottled water I'm drinking (magnesium?) or the little bit of dark chocolate I've been eating ( supposedly low fodmap). Maybe sugar is a problem. Don't know what to do with my diet, I'm at a loss.

Any more suggestions would be very welcome.

Xxx

You may also like...