Help!?

Hello, this is a completely embarrassing topic in my opinion that I am about to discuss however, I really do need help.

I've had constipation ever since I was young, back then I didn't think much about it. But when I was around 12 years old I used to have difficulty going to the toilet and I used to feel an immense amount of pain when relieving myself. At bedtime when I used to try to sleep I couldn't as the area where you relieve yourself used to be in a tremendous amount of pain(trying not to sound too disgusting right now). My mum took me to the doctors to get a check up and I discovered that every time I went to the toilet I had developed cuts in the area from trying so hard to pass stool.

Later on, I was given some cream and a few years later I did not feel as much pain however, i still had difficulty going to the toilet.

I was them prescribed some laxative powders I could mix in juice or water to drink. I really didn't take them as regularly since I hated the taste. My mum later went to her home country on holiday and she brought back some laxative drops that were highly recommended by relatives.

These drops work till this day and they help to relieve me without as much pain today. However, I do not want to take these drops forever as once they finish I would have to wait to travel and buy some more.

Apart from this whenever I am constipated I get horrible lower stomach pain near the right-hand side and also horrible upper stomach pain. Due to this reason I consulted a doctor who diagnosed this pain as constipation as a lot of people thought it was appendix or kidney pain. The doctor prescribed a syrup for this problem which I can again not take as whenever I manage to swallow the disgusting thick syrup it usually comes back up.

Aside from this, I haven't been able to go the toilet for over a week unless I use the drops. The maximum dosage for these drops for over 14 is 10 drops a day. And since I am currently 16 I take 10 or sometimes even more if I am in greater pain and need to go to the toilet quickly.

I took these drops yesterday, however, I am afraid to go to the toilet because of the pain and also because I'm scared to block the toilet. As extremely embarrassing as this is, it has happened many times in the past and is not very nice.

So now you've very kindly listened or in this case, read my very embarrassing life of enduring constipation, is there any help or advice anyone can offer?

Last edited by

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. I can imagine that the pain is excruciating. Do any foods trigger this off or is it just an everyday thing? I would say just be careful as your body can get used to taken medicine and therefore will stop working. My problem is the other way when I go about 6-8 times I any day. I've just been diagnosed with celiac disease and lactose intolerant and now I am trying to eat new foods that do not contain gluten wheat barely and anything with dairy in. It's hard but since doing this my stomach has been better. I wish you all the luck in the world L xx

• I'm not aware of any diets or foods that trigger this problem, so yes, it's an everyday kind of thing. Yes, I have to stop taking the medicine as I feel as though my body has already become dependent on it.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, I hope everything turns out fine for you :)

Thank you for your help x

I hope everything also goes well for you :)

• Have you tried magnesium? This post explains what lack of magnesium causes, and how to get more magnesium:

sickofibs.com/ibs-symptoms/...

Hope this improves things for you,

Alison:)

• No, I haven't. Thank you for suggesting this. I shall try it to see if it helps x

• I have chronic constipation. I have been to private consultant and had the tests done. There are two new drugs that you can get on the NHS called Prucalopride and Linaclotide. The don't work like traditional laxatives, they work on the receptors in the stomach. They should give it to you if nothing else works. It is on the NICE guidelines and you should say this to your doctor. What I take now is about 600 to 1000mg of magnesium citrate or oxide on an empty stomach before bed with lots of water. This works great, naturally and is effective. My colorectal consultant recommended it as well. Look up information on magnesium and constipation. If I don't take it I don't go.

There are other magnesium products for the colon that are excellent although more expensive but worth it. They are in order of my preference, Oxypowder, Aerobic Mag07 and Colosan. You can get them on Amazon or a place called the Finchley clinic. They are very helpful and you can call for advice. Hope this helps.

• Thank you so much for your help!

I shall definitely try these new drugs but I may need to discuss with the doctor to see whether they are suitable for me or not. Thank you for your help :)

Really do appreciate it x

• Hi have you looked at your diet? Adding fibre to your diet and drinking lots of fluids really will help. Was the syrup made from figs? If it was you could try eating figs either dried or fresh and believe me that will get you going. Prunes are good as well and also grapes, good luck.

• I have started to drink plenty more water than I usually would have but I have not really changed my diet. However, my daily diet does involve a fair amount of fibre, maybe I just need to increase the amount a little more.

No the syrup was not made from figs and unfortunately for me, I absolutely despise the taste of figs and I'm pretty sure if I tried eating them they would not go down well.

However, I will try them and see if they help.

Thank you so much for your help!

Really do appreciate it X

• I have struggled with constipation in the recent past as well, though not to the same extent. I have been on a low FODMAP diet for 6 weeks now and it has helped me to be more regular.

You may also like...