Fainting: Hi, I'm just a little worried as I keep... - STARS

STARS
1,050 members387 posts

Fainting

Hi,

I'm just a little worried as I keep fainting or nearly fainting and sometimes it's even from just standing up, I can't tolerate standing for too long as it makes me really dizzy and faint. I get headaches and nausea along with blurry vision. I am constantly tired and my hands and feet are always cold. I just don't know what to do anymore, I can't do my dance or gymnastics lessons anymore as I just faint when I try and it's really frustrating... Some mornings I cant get out of bed without fainting multiple times and I have to lie down a lot to try and recover in school and at home. I am also being sent home from school a lot due to dizziness, blurry vision, feeling light headed and on few occasions fainting and having to be taken out of school in a wheelchair and my first aid teacher had to half lift me into the car...it's getting really difficult to keep up with my studies when I'm feeling so poorly all the time...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be or ways to cope?

Thank you :)

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi KatieJ28

I know exactly how you feel I have been having these faints for 4 years now I have been diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope and I am still in full time education. I have struggled a lot with keeping up with my studies.

I can recommend talking to your teachers and just letting them understand what is going on and also if you miss your work try to catch up because with me if I was more stressed with school work it made my fainting worse.

With my school they overreacted with my fainting as I was sent home on the first time I fainted (I usually faint 4-5 times a day) so my parents had a meeting in school to put arrangements in place for me to be able to stay in school. Such as my classrooms are on the ground floors so I don't have to walk up stairs and I don't have to go home every time I faint only when I know it is really bad.

I hope this helps xxx

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad I'm not alone. I think I will go into school on Monday and talk to my teachers to let them know that they don't need to send me home, they just need to give me somewhere to lie down while I recover and then send me back to my lessons if it's not really bad like you said.

Yeah, I get that. My school really overreact when I'm nearly passed out and they always call my parents and they completely freak out when I actually pass out and it's really annoying as they keep sending me home even though I could easily go back to my lessons if it isn't a particularly bad faint.

Do you have any tips on dealing with passing out and recovering enough to go back to lessons?

Thank you

Katie xxx

Yeah that's a good idea. xxx

Are you going to the doctors about your fainting as my cardiac nurse was able to send a letter to my school to be able to say that they don't need to send me home.

It may be different for you but mainly when I faint I have to lie down for 20 minutes to half and hour and if my symptoms don't improve I usually go home. But in my school there is a medical room with a bed so I go and lie down there until I get better. I usually control my breathing and I also drink a bottle of water which helps me a lot. You have to be truthful to yourself and if your not able to go back to lessons don't go back because it usually means that you will have the same symptoms soon after.

I get it a lot from people that I do so well with carrying on with school and everyone says that they wouldn't be able to carry on with school but you just learn how to deal with it even though it is annoying and it does make me upset.

I hope this helps,

Katie xx

Yeah I have been but they haven’t figured out what it is yet. I will ask my nurse to write a letter if she is able and that may convince them to let me lie down in first aid and not send me home.

Yeah I find lying down for a while does help, I have to put my legs up too to get my blood pressure back up as it tends to drop.

Okay, I will keep that in mind and make sure I only go back to lessons if I feel well enough to as it means that I will hopefully not faint again in the lesson.

Yeah I totally get that, it upsets me a lot and it’s really frustrating when I have to be in first aid rather than my lessons but I guess we’ll get through it and hopefully things will get easier to deal with with time.

Thank you so much,

Katie xxx

Hi Katie I have the same problem not in school but sometimes at work. My pressure it’s rock bottom what my cardiologist Suggested is that I cross my legs and squeeze really tight and same with my arms and control my breathing. That usually helps me a lot after that I drink at least 16once water You are not alone that’s for sure. I hope that helps you

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, it means a lot to know that I’m not alone.

I will try that next time it happens, I get really scared and upset when it happens but I will definitely try that to see if it stops the fainting or at least reduced the number of times it happens.

Thank you,

Katie xxx

You may also like...