Local meetups : Hello Ladies, I hope... - SHARE Metastatic ...

SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
3,411 members3,876 posts

Local meetups

SophSP
SophSP

Hello Ladies,

I hope you are all having a good day so far.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a meetup when this pandemic is over with? It's good to connect with so many lovely ladies on here, but it would also be nice to meet up with some of you who live locally. I'm in East Anglia if anyone is interested! I am willing to travel too.

Take care,

Sophie

P.S. Here's a picture of my hometown. I love to walk along the river.

62 Replies
oldestnewest

Sophie, how beautiful! Wish I lived over there so I could meet!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to mariootsi

Hi Marianne,

Thank you! I would love to meet you too. We'll have to settle for "meeting" on here for chats instead.

Sophie

MCBS
MCBS
in reply to SophSP

In Buckinghamshire ! I would love to meet most people on the forum. Such a great bunch of witty caring women! Is that an oxymoron ?

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to MCBS

That would be good. Bedford would probably be a good halfway meet-up point.

Sophie

Teddielottie
Teddielottie
in reply to SophSP

I’m ‘ up north ‘ in Yorkshire , probably 3 1/ 2 hours to you Sophie . But much closer to the East Midlands ! It would be lovely to meet people on here in person ! x

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Teddielottie

Hi Teddie,

I haven't been up north in years. The last time was probably when I went camping with my husband in Acaster Malbis. It rained the whole weekend and the cows in the next field kept me awake! If we did meet, we'd have to figure out a halfway point. Although 3 1/2 hours would be considered the "next town" to my husband. But that's the Montanan coming out in him! It's very sparsely populated where he is from. Montana now has a population of over a million, which is very small considering the state is much bigger than the whole of the UK.

Sophie

I’d fly to England for a meet up if it were possible. 💁🏼‍♂️

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

Hi Nancy,

Maybe when the lockdown is over with you will be able to head back over here again. I remember reading that you had a good time during your visits to the UK. It would be good to meet.

Sophie

nstonerocks
nstonerocks
in reply to SophSP

Love the U.K. especially smaller towns. Spent time in Hastings where we have friends. Would love to come back when this covid is figured out.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

I live in a small town just an hour from the North Sea. I love it! My oldest brother used to live in Robertsbridge, near Hastings. East Sussex is a lovely part of the country.

nstonerocks
nstonerocks
in reply to SophSP

When we went to Amsterdam we went to a beach on the North Sea. I was expecting frigid water. It was summer and swimable. Lovely sand. Guess water temp not so different from our Northeast Coast.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

On this side of the North Sea the water tends to be pretty cold. Although when I went to Mundesley on the North Norfolk coast recently the water wasn't icy, like I was expecting. So it just depends really.

Nancy - how are you these days? Are you getting your strength back? We all know from your posts that you had a tough run there for awhile. I had hoped to meet you while you were in the city and then I caught the horrible pnuemonia which took forever to heal from. In the end they said I had a 'superbug.' This was after all p eumonia treatments failed. I am having a covid 19 antibody test tomorrow when I have my monthly blood done. Curious for the results. Enjoy your day. Faith

girlsptz
girlsptz
in reply to Have-faith

Faith I'm so sorry to hear you had pneumonia. Have you been able to continue with your Xeloda or did you have to stop short term? I noticed I hadn't seen a post from you since you started treatment. I hope you are feeling better and on the mend. We always have to be more vigilant when we are on these immuno suppressing drugs. Be well and take care.

Sandra

Have-faith
Have-faith
in reply to girlsptz

Hi Sandra. I has the pneumonia or superbug last Fall 2019 for 6 weeks. I was on Afinitor and exemestane at the time. I stopped afinitor for about 2 weeks as it can cause lung issues and my lungs were not improving . I am finishing my first cycle of xeloda this week. I am not sure what to think of it. I had more fatigue than usual bit it could be the emotional stress of thinking about I am on oral chemo now. I am still in shock. Sad.

I am looking into possibly taking a break from work. Maybe permanently, but I have to figure out the health insurance. I am finding it overwhelming. Scarey what the costs are for health insurance here if you are not in a group plan. Thanks for reaching out. Faith

Hi Sophie

What a brilliant idea

I’m in Nottingham so let’s see if anyone else is interested and we could maybe find a place to meet between us all

Barb xx

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Barbteeth

Hi Barb,

I wouldn't mind coming up to Nottingham or meeting somewhere else. My brother used to go to boarding school in Swinderby, which is in your neck of the woods (sort of!)

Sophie x

What a beautiful photo Sophie. Looks like a painting. It would be lovely to meet you in person, but like Nancy I am stuck for now in the states. I am sure if you did coordinate a gathering with those near you that you would all have a great time chatting. Have a nice day and thank you for thinking of all of us. Faith

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Have-faith

Hi Faith,

Thank you. It's a pretty walk along the river. I used to take it all for granted growing up, but since I moved back to my hometown I appreciate my surroundings more these days.

Enjoy your day too!

Sophie

nstonerocks
nstonerocks
in reply to SophSP

Since being stuck at home for months I’ve come to really appreciate my yard and my house. Ok, my husband too! It is not as bucolic as your neighborhood, but the house sits on an acre with and acre behind that can never be developed. Unfortunately we cannot see the brook that runs back there, but it is wooded and there is the constant cacophony of birdsong all day long. In my little fenced in area, which I am still waiting to get straightened up, the orange tiger lillies are in bloom as well as some unruly rose bushes. We hung 2 bird feeders, so there is a constant presence of squirrels and birds. Yesterday I saw a young rabbit and small black squirrel chasing one another. Looked like the squirrel never saw a rabbit before and was trying to figure it out. Though my world is smaller, I have become so much more aware of all its elements. There is a peace in nature that urban environments just cannot duplicate. I say this having spent 50 years in New York City. Never fancied myself a country girl. Now I don’t look forward to trips into New York. However, love small towns Sad that our city planners did not incorporate more open spaces and pedestrian friendly streets. Too much profit to be made in selling steel and glass 😂

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

Nancy, your home sounds idyllic. I would love to have an acre on my doorstep! Well, I have the woods across the road from my house, so I do view that as my garden in a sense. Where you live sounds really nice. It must be so relaxing to sit and take it all in.

Sophie

nstonerocks
nstonerocks
in reply to SophSP

It is. I never appreciated it as much as I do now. We are surrounded by suburban areas which are fine. Have to travel about 30 to 40 minutes for theatres etc but not bad. And about 30 min to quaint Victorian beach town with plenty of rules to keep beach serene.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to nstonerocks

It's the same where I live. I am about 30 minutes from the nearest city, an hour from the coast, but far enough out in the country to enjoy it all really. I'm a country girl at heart. While I like visiting cities, I will always view the country as my home.

Hi Sophie, I am Ulrike and live in sunny Suffolk too. Currently waiting for my next treatment Olaparib as I have peritoneal mets. I also get Denusomab for the spinal mets. I am triple negative and BRAC1 positive. Have got my 19 year daughter and 17 year old son and husband at home.

Would be very happy to meet up if you like,

Ulrike

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Nibbles2019

Hi Ulrike,

It's good to meet someone else from my county! Let's try to get together when things ease up a bit more. July and August look set to see a relaxation of restrictions. I hope your next treatments go well. I've got my zoladex on 7th July and zometa infusion three days later. I'll check back in with you and anyone else who can meet up soon.

Take care,

Sophie

Nibbles2019
Nibbles2019
in reply to SophSP

Hi Sophie, hope your infusion goes smoothly and Zoladex does not make you feel too rough. I am planning to start mistletoe therapy and oncothermia next week .

Enjoy the sunny weather

Ulrike

Sophie if I was closer I would definitely love to meet up with you and so many other ladies on the board. There are a number of you in the UK, albeit I'm not familiar with the distances between each other but I hope you are able to organize a get-together. How fun!

Sandra

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to girlsptz

Hi Sandra,

I would love to meet you too. It's a shame things didn't work out last year when I was visiting my in-laws. But there was still quite some distance to travel. Distances are much shorter over here, so it's quicker to get around than it is in America and Canada. Maybe you live near some of the other ladies on here and can arrange to meet up.

Sophie

It is beautiful but I am in MA, USA. I would meet with women in my area too.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to SMPG

Maybe there are other ladies on here who live in Massachusetts who would be able to meet up with you. It's worth putting it out there and finding out.

Sophie

SMPG
SMPG
in reply to SophSP

I am in S-E MA. Not far from the Cape. Anybody around?

What a beautiful idea! And a pretty photo too of your hometown. I’m so envious of you ladies. I live so far away (Philippines) and would so love to join the meet up. When travel is allowed again and I am able to go to Glasgow, I will be happy to join your meet up. I’m willing to travel too😄

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to MyMiracle13

Thank you! The Philippines must be beautiful too. One of my closest friends is from the Philippines, but she lives in America now. We met when I lived in California. It would be good to meet you, but Glasgow is about 400 miles away. My husband and I were talking about taking a trip up to Scotland before the lockdown, but obviously all travel plans had to be shelved for the foreseeable future. If things ease up soon that might still be a possibility though. I'll have to think about that!

Sophie

MyMiracle13
MyMiracle13
in reply to SophSP

Scotland is beautiful. You will love it. Hope to meet you and your husband someday.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to MyMiracle13

Thanks, I have been to Scotland twice. I stayed in Edinburgh each time, and also visited Jedburgh, and Glenkinchie. It would be good to meet. Let's hope it happens!

Sophie

Oh Sophie, That is a beautiful river. What a great place for a picnic. I wish I lived closer. Have fun. Blessings Hannah

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to hdhonda

Hi Hannah,

Thank you! The river is quite dirty in places though. I used to swim in it as a child, but I wouldn't now. We used to take our boat out on the river too when I was a child. It's a shame we all live so far apart. It would be nice for us all to get together for a nice picnic and chinwag.

Sophie

I wish I lived close enough to meet ❤️. Looks like you had a lovely walk last night. I hope some of you ladies in England live close enough to meet for dinner or tea.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Sarcie

Thank you, Sarah! It would be lovely to meet. I just sent you an email.

Sophie

Sarcie
Sarcie
in reply to SophSP

I just read it. Once these restrictions are lifted I will just have to make a trip to the UK. I have always wanted to go to Scotland as my ancestors come from there so then I could go and visit you also.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Sarcie

I like the sound of that, Sarah! It would be lovely to see you. Do you still have relatives in Scotland?

Sophie

Sarcie
Sarcie
in reply to SophSP

None that I know. Distant ones I’m sure it several ways back.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Sarcie

Imagine meeting your long lost relatives! Wouldn’t that be amazing if you still had family in Scotland? Even if you don’t I’d love to meet up.

Sophie

Sarcie
Sarcie
in reply to SophSP

I would love to find relatives. Trying to access records from here is hard as it seems each church kept their own records then.

But yes , meeting you would be lovely ❤️

That's beautiful!

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to AnnaP668

Thank you, Ann.

Sophie

How pretty and unusual . Wish I lived closer♥️

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Francesca10

Thank you, Frances! I wish we lived closer too. It would be so nice to meet everyone.

Sophie

I live in Canada. I love the beautiful photo.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to rubyc1234

Thank you, Ruby. I have been to Canada a few times. I visited Alberta and British Columbia with my husband.

Sophie

Lovely to see your post: just beautiful!

I’m not sure when we’ll be able to fly again living in the US. My onco told me yesterday not to count on it this year but perhaps mid-end of 2021. And I’m reading since the handling of the virus has been so bungled here, we may be prohibited entry into certain countries. 🙁

Would be super to meet up though, at some point. Nice to have a goal to work towards. Brilliant suggestion.

Big hugs to you!

Kathleen

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Red1246

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you! I love going for walks around town and in nearby villages. I'm flagging a bit this week though, as we're in the midst of a heatwave and I struggle in this weather. Today is the hottest day of the year so far. Fortunately, my dog walks and pet sits are done for the day. I like to be finished early, especially when it's as hot as today. I start early and finish early.

If you do make it over to the UK next year I would be happy to meet you. We need to set goals for ourselves and keep planning!

Take care,

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

It would be great to meet up. We can hopefully organise something soon xx

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Evaf

Hi Eva,

That would be great! I'm off work the first week of August for my anniversary. My husband and I are not going away anywhere this year, but will probably be taking day trips instead that week. Maybe on one of those days we can organise something.

Sophie x

beautyFULL! i love nature. the backyard of my home is a preserve, so i enJOY the view and serenity when out on the lanai or the shades are open; had a visit from 3 black vultures recently and have seen a bobcat. :) if i were in the UK, i would meet up with you (all). perhaps, if my hope to visit England comes to fruition?

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to hctrojan

Hi,

Your garden sounds lovely. I enjoy nature too, and love to take it all in. Let me know if you make it over to the UK.

Sophie

I’d love to meet join the meet up too. I’m on the Welsh boarder but very happy to travel.

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Julie2233

Hi Julie,

I'm thinking of the beginning of August for a meet up. How does that sound?

Sophie

Julie2233
Julie2233
in reply to SophSP

Yes, treatment permitting, sounds good to me 😊

girlsptz
girlsptz
in reply to Julie2233

Oh ladies I am so envious. Please take pictures to share with us. What a gab session that will be..... will be good for the mental health that's for sure. 👍

Sandra

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to girlsptz

Hi Sandra,

I wish you could come too. I’ll keep you posted and hopefully this meeting can go ahead.

Sophie

SophSP
SophSP
in reply to Julie2233

OK, that sounds good. Now to think of where to meet! If you have any suggestions let me know. I’m in Suffolk, it can meet in Norfolk, Cambridgeshire or a bit further afield if it’s easier to meet.

Sophie

You may also like...