SHARE Metastatic Breast Cancer
2,366 members1,722 posts

Taking an integrative approach

Morning Ladies,

I'm having one of my "I'm planning to take over the world" type of days so far, but I just don't know where to go from here.

I am doing well physically, emotionally, spiritually and in every other way, but I want to do more. After each CT scan I think to myself "what's next?" I like to have goals that I can reach and when I reach them I try to strive for more. I finished my six complementary therapy sessions that were offered at my local hospice on Monday (cancer patients are treated for free there; it isn't just for end of life care).

I cancelled my follow-up appointment with my naturopath. I met her in December and she was fine. She said I was doing really well and gave me some advice, and recommended supplements (I only ended up taking the vegan omega 3 supplements) but I just got the feeling that she wasn't really committed to her job. When trying to book the initial consultation her receptionist kept saying she wasn't available most days (only on Tuesdays; I work, but that didn't make any difference to them) and at certain times she couldn't see patients, as she was at lunch, oh and she was taking a break, so couldn't see me again until May! I ended up re-booking for May and then cancelling. I just didn't feel she was right for me.

I have lots of ideas of what I want to do next, but I just don't know where to begin. I want to continue with an integrative approach to my healthcare. I am continuing to work on my diet, exercise, rest, sleep, and more. But I also want to try new things. I am currently reading How to Starve Cancer, and I am taking notes. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Sophie x

78 Replies
oldestnewest

Sophie,

Sounds like you have it all covered! The only thing I would suggest is EFT. It is a tapping technique that uses accupressure points to relax and change our way of thinking. Check put Nick Ortner online. See what you think!

4 likes

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sophie x

EFT is GREAT!! i do daily and am grateful to having been taught it!!

And I love the Budwig diet! i only do the organic cottage cheese blended daily with organic or virgin flaxseed oil. Read about it as well. I figure why not!! AND, I put a few fresh organic blueberries, raspberries or purple grapes cut in half on top and mix. Tastes really good to me an i hate cottage cheese.

Also look up some you tube videos on learning how to deep breathe.

I like energy work which I do in the shower every morning after EFT as well.

1 like

Ok Marianne....I'll bite. I will say that I'm going to read more about this today and I see he has some free meditations as well on his website to try. Being a realist this is so far outside my wheelhouse but.....hey so was meditation in general until I really committed to it. Thanks for the recommendation and I'll give it a try. It seems you must be experiencing positive results from it...correct?

Sandra

Sandra,

I know, believe me. It's outside of my wheelhouse too, but I was introduced to it by a therapist. I thought this is stupid but after her demo and my following her lead, I was so relaxed and aware of where my panic was coming from I continued with it. Just another tool. Hope you find it helpful!

1 like

I'll definitely give it a go as it can't hurt. I have the time. I am fortunate I don't suffer from anxiety or panic problems (other than scan anxiety I guess every 3 months) but I do still have pain of course from my bone mets so I will give it the old college try to see if it helps with that. I'll let you know. Certainly glad you found benefit.

Sandra

You know I listened to the demo and read all the literature yesterday and was intrigued enough to check out if my library carried any of his programs. They have his tapping solution book available on 8 cd's which I have reserved. I like to listen to audio type cd's when I'm in my infrared sauna. Thank you Marianne for sharing. It's very simple to do technique wise so I'm going to give it a good try. It's certainly not going to hurt.

Sandra

Sandra, hope it helps you! I find it relaxing and interesting! It can help in every facet of our lives.

1 like

I recently started tapping and I kind of like it!

2 likes

Oh good. Glad you like it!

Hey Sophie, Its great to hear you feel so good and wanting to try new stuff ! What are your ideas ? I've had a week of going to bed before 9:00, dragging. (week 1 on med cycle)

Hi Laura,

Thank you! I have so many ideas buzzing around in my head that it's hard to know what to do next. So here are some of my thoughts: using off label drugs to beat this disease and hopefully get my GP and oncologist on side once I figure out which drugs are most likely to help me, go to the gym more (I workout three times a week at the moment and walk for hours each week), find another complementary therapist for massages, maybe see my dietitian again for a six-month follow-up, find an integrative doctor to help me see what else I can incorporate into my routine (intravenous vitamin C and so on), start juicing (I bought a juicer last Saturday but have not used it yet), arrange a spa day or weekend for my husband and I, and finish the cancer books I am currently pouring over. I know more will come out as I continue to find out more, but that's about it for now!

Going to bed earlier is certainly a worthwhile goal. When I was first diagnosed I was shattered and couldn't wait to crawl into bed at the end of the day. Now I am often wide awake reading, researching, and not always tired at bedtime, but I tend to sleep pretty well once I am in bed. I add Epsom salts and essential oils to my bath each day and that is really relaxing.

Sophie x

2 likes

Sophie, great ideas but I hope you plan to continue with the medications prescribed by your oncologist as well as the off label ones you are researching. You are way to young to gamble. My opinion of course for what it's worth.

Sandra

I agree with you Sandra..maybe it’s my medical background but there are people who want to make money out of us because they know we will try anything in the hope it will work

Don’t misunderstand me..I have an open mind but also a cynical one!!

I do juicing ...have an infrared red sauna and eat healthily ..these may or not help but certainly can’t harm me

I did speak to my oncologist about the off label drugs and she said if they were that good then we would be taking them now

It’s very difficult to decide for the best but I’m going with the advice of professionals

Just my opinion

Barb XX

3 likes

Hi Barb,

I appreciate your input. I agree that there are charlatans out there who are only interested in making money off us. My GP counselled me about that the last time I saw her. I am not easily taken in, but if there are other methods out there that can help then I am willing to look into it some more. But don't you think that it's in the interest of the pharmaceutical companies to not find a cure for cancer? They can then continue to make money from cancer. I don't buy into a lot of the "cancer research" charities out there. Some may be genuine, but I bet many more are not. We need to go beyond the elementary "You need to check your breasts" to finding a cure for metastatic breast (and other) cancers.

I will continue to follow the advice of my GP and oncologist and if I come across anything that I am interested in then I will run it by them.

Sophie

4 likes

Hi Sophie

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the cancer charities

I hate the whole pink ribbon stuff and the charity runs etc as they’re concentrating on ‘awareness’..which used to be a good thing years ago but I think most people are aware now about checking their breasts etc

Not sure about the big drug companies obstructing a cure though..the Pfizer must have made a fortune from Ibrance

Oh I don’t know anymore..just want a bloody cure!!

All the best

Barb xx

2 likes

Hi Barb,

I get upset by the cancer charities and all the noise they like to make at certain times of the year. I actually find parts of it insulting to those of us who have to live with this disease day in and day out. We can't just take a break, run a few miles or shave our heads just to be seen to be doing something by others. I have seen a lot of posts put on Facebook by friends and family about cancer who probably think they are being supportive, but they are not. I ignore such posts. Our daily lives and the challenges we face are invisible to most people who do not live with this disease.

Sophie x

2 likes

Yes I agree

In fact I find some of these people are narcissistic..they like to be ‘seen’ doing charity stuff and getting praise

Don’t misunderstand me..I know there are lots of genuine caring folks out there but a lot aren’t

Barb xx

1 like

I get what you are saying, Barb, because I feel the same way. If your motive for getting involved in a cancer charity event is so that you can get a pat on the back then you have your answer right there. But if you do not broadcast your involvement and you quietly give, then that is different. You are not doing it for the praise and adulation but because you really want to help.

Sophie x

2 likes

Well said

Barb xx

1 like

Hi Sandra,

I am not planning to give up on conventional medicine and I told my oncologist that on Monday, so I agree with you there. I just want to explore other options too. Thanks for your care and concern.

Sophie

1 like

Where do you live Sophie??

I live in the UK.

I wrote a long reply and it’s disappeared! Anyway I bought the how to starve cancer book and skim read it. I wasn’t very impressed I wasn’t sure she explained the exact protocol. I guess as you are not on Ibrance you could try mixing the drugs with your hormone meds but then how would you know what was working? I have the same issue with wanting to take cannabis oil. I’d love to do the RSO protocol but now I’m on all these drugs and they are reducing the cancer (unfortunately while making me feel utterly awful) I’m too scared to come off them. Can I ask do you have it in your bones? I was doing a lot of running before I knew and my femurs had almost disintegrated. Xx

Hi Ellie,

Don't you just hate when that happens?! I'm reading the book very slowly and taking notes as I go along. I am just on page 22 at the moment, so it's still too early for me to form an opinion. I'm also a member of Jane's Facebook page, where you can ask questions, or search for your particular cancer and then find someone else who has worked out which combination of drugs will work for them.

I have read a lot of cases of radical remission survivors, and Jane McLelland is one of them. She had metastatic cancer years ago, but was able to cure it. So many others have managed to do the same thing. A lot of them seem to have a few things in common: a change in diet, adding supplements and taking control of their health. I do feel that it is possible to do the same, if not effect a cure then at least find a way to live long term with this disease with little to no progression.

Yes, the cancer metastasised to my bones, a couple of spots on my spine. They didn't show up on the full bone body scan, but they lit up on the PET CT scan I had last May. I have Zometa infusions every 12 weeks. I have heard that some people have them every month. There is a question mark over my liver. A tiny spot was found in my liver during an MRI of my liver last year, but the radiologists seem to think it's benign, as nothing has happened since it was found and my ALT levels are normal. They fluctuated right after I started treatment, but immediately went back down again. So I think there is nothing going on in my liver. My oncologist told me she is not worried about it.

I don't want to come off my medications either, Ellie. While they are working, I want to keep going. But I do feel that there is always room for improvement. For example, I woke up feeling quite tired today with a headache. I didn't sleep well and had a nightmare (I dreamed that my dad had died). When I feel like this, I try to think of what I can do to improve things. Do I need a nap? Would a green juice help? Do I need to say no to going out in the evening and just stay home and rest?

Do you think you will be able to get back into running once you are feeling better? What does your oncologist say about that? Mine wants me to keep as active as I can.

Take care,

Sophie x

I would so love to think I could, I’m a lot worse than you. Extensive bone mets, lungs and liver. The cancer is still making me feel ill as well as the drugs and now depression. They say that Ibrance can clear it all up and I can be normal. I so hope this is true. At the moment I’m exhausted all the time. I will look up the Facebook page now. I’d love to be able to hope there’s a chance I can see my kids grow up Xx

Hi Ellie,

We must all have hope. You want to see your children grow up and I want to live into old age with my husband. These are hopes we must cling to. Please don't give up and think that this will not happen. There are many people who have lived with metastatic breast cancer for years, some for decades!

If you have only recently started treatment then it may take a while until you start to feel better. I felt like a 90-year-old for the first three months after I started treatment, frail and stiff and afraid of tripping over and breaking a bone. It wasn't like that all the time, but generally speaking that's how I felt. I even had trouble picking my cat up for a cuddle, as he felt too heavy. Then one day it felt like the cloud had lifted and I could function properly again. You just need to give your body time to heal. Look at each new step as a victory and don't beat yourself up for relying on your family or others to help. They love you and want to help you. My mum was ill while I was growing up (high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation and then cancer). I don't regret taking her to the doctor's, cooking for her, doing her laundry or being there for her when she had cancer, so don't view yourself as a burden because you are not.

Sophie x

1 like

Oh Sophie, I’m so sorry for you. Thank you so much for all your replies at the moment. I really have lost hope and you are so positive. I’m so pleased I ‘met’ you. I’ve just been on the Facebook page. It still doesn’t make much sense. Have your bone nets cleared up with just Letrozole? I would ask about Ibrance as I read on a different forum people complaining about certain drugs not being available in certain postcodes. I’m worried about that too living in a very rural area, I’m in Dorset, where are you? Xx

Hi Ellie,

I was on my lunch break when I was chatting with you earlier, but am now finished with work for the day. Yay! Roll on the weekend! I'm glad I have been able to encourage you. I'm pleased we have met too, albeit online! I don't really know if the bone metastases have cleared up or not. I will be seeing my GP on the 19th for my next Zoladex injection, so will ask her to print up my latest radiology report. I had planned to ask my oncologist about Ibrance when I saw her on Monday but I forgot. I even had it written down!

It's rural where I live too in Suffolk, but I am very close to the major towns and cities in East Anglia. If I ever feel that I am not getting the care I deserve then I will push harder or go private.

Sophie x

Sophie I believe Ibrance is given only to post menopausal women....and I think that refers to natural age not forced menopause. I could be wrong though.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I have heard that too. I wasn't expecting to go through the menopause naturally for many more years. Then within two weeks of starting Zoladex last May I had my last period. Then within a couple of days I started Letrozole. I don't miss my periods, as I used to suffer a lot and at least now I don't have to deal with the pain and mood swings.

Sophie ❤

1 like

PS if you figure out the book please let me know if you are going to follow the protocol. Have you considered cannabis oil?

Just found this article: telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/w...

Yes, I certainly will! A friend of mine was talking to me about CBD oil the other day. I quizzed her for ages about it, as I don't want to take anything that's illegal. But she said that the THC is less than 0.4%, so the psychoactive part is way below the legal requirement. So she will look into it for me. Thanks also for the links to the articles. I will have a look at them later. My husband just got home from work too, and we are off out to eat. Have a great evening!

Sophie x

My husband has done so much research on CBD/THC there are so many conflicting thoughts. I think you need the THC to have an effect on actually killing the cells. My onc has agreed I can take the CBD with my meds. I found someone called April who was the same as us and cured herself with the RSO protocol but later she died of liver cancer but it worked for 2yrs. Hopefully they’ll be more evidence to this as time goes on. I’d love to be going out. I’m lying in bed watching my 8yr old comb nits out of her hair! Thank you for your messages today - enjoy your lovely evening Xx

There seems to be a lot of information out there. I can't take it all in at once. That's why I have to take my time when reading cancer books so I can get the most out of what I am reading.

We are back home now and watching For the love of dogs, then a rerun of Doc Martin (I'm a big fan!) Sorry to hear about the nits. That's the thing about schools, bugs and all sorts of things like to do the rounds, don't they?

Sophie x

Sounds very relaxing. I tried to watch a video on the ketogenic diet but I fell asleep! X

I’ve woken up in a bad way this morning, I know it’s ridiculous, the sun is shining, my beautiful children are downstairs and all I feel is fear and panic. Desperately searching the web for an immunotherapy treatment. Feeling crazy again x

Morning Ellie,

You're right; it is a beautiful day today! This past week has been lovely. As I was driving to work the other day I had to put my air conditioning on. It's so funny to think that last month was the hottest February in 20 years. Remember the "beast from the east" from this time last year?

It must be nice hearing your children playing and enjoying themselves. But if you are feeling fear and panic then I would not ignore that. Can you talk with your husband? I used to be scared to be left alone in the house. My husband would go golfing (I encouraged him to go) and I would sometimes panic in case something happened to me while I was alone. Nothing ever did, but I didn't feel comfortable being alone. The feeling passed after a while.

Are you Triple Negative? If so, then immunotherapy is certainly an option. But if you are ER+ then that is not currently an option. I already looked into that and asked my oncologist too. PI3K inhibitors are looking promising for treating ER+ breast cancer.

Please try to find a few positives from your day today. The sun is shining, your children are there with you, and hopefully your husband is too.

Take care,

Sophie x

Treating or curing? X

I have heard of immunotherapy curing some people, notably Judy Perkins, who had metastatic breast cancer. With the PI3K inhibitors I believe that it is still going through the clinical trials stage at the moment, but it looks like it will soon be available. x

So since I’ve been in bed all day I’ve spent it looking in to the CBD/THC route. There is so much evidence out there that it works. I found a lady called Paula Doyle-weigel you can google here and listen to her on YouTube. I was thinking I could travel to a country where it is legal and do the RSO protocol there. The only thing is would I stop the Zolodex maybe I’d have my ovaries removed? And what about monitoring, the NHS would still have to do blood tests etc. So confused but I really want to try it. What do you think? Xx

Hi Ellie,

I don't know enough about CBD to be able to answer your questions, only what my friend shared with me the other day. Do you want an oophorectomy? It is up to you. I was offered surgery last year, but I refused. So I have continued with the Zoladex injections every month. I am guessing you want to take a higher dose of CBD than is legally allowed in the UK. Is that why you are considering going abroad? I would really think things through carefully before you make a decision as you don't want to do anything that could prove harmful. Do you feel able to talk to your GP?

Sophie x

I was just thinking about drug interactions and also my liver has Mets so my thoughts were also about reducing the drugs going through it. Yes I was thinking of doing the Rick Simpson protocol but a ratio of 1:1 CBD:THC Unfortunately THC is illegal here but I have friends abroad I could possibly stay with if I wanted to do it. It takes 60 days and I imagine it’s quite full on. Also if it works I don’t want to be on Zolodex forever. I’m still getting these major depressive episodes I wonder if one less drug would help. I’ll chat to my onc. GP is literally hopeless. How was your day? I feel a bit better this evening, day 10 Ibrance, this is the furthest I’ve got with it so far Xx

Hi Ellie,

I would definitely get a medical opinion and then see what you will do. See what your oncologist has to say. Sorry to hear your GP isn't much help to you.

I just got in from a surprise wedding anniversary dinner with around 30 friends. It was great! My husband had been golfing with our friend (whose anniversary it is!) earlier in the day and was able to keep quiet without letting it slip. He and his wife just thought they were going out for a quiet Indian until we all surprised them!

Now I'm off to bed. I have a busy day ahead.

Sophie ❤

Wow that sounds fun. Day 2 in bed for me - no energy at all Xx

Hi Ellie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling up to much today. Do you like to watch TV? I like Call the Midwife. It's the final episode of the series tonight on BBC1. I like a bit of escapism and to imagine what life must have been like in the 1960s.

Take care,

Sophie x

Thank you. I’m not too in to TV. I watch it in the evenings. I’m so used to being busy all the time. It’s taking a lot of getting used to being so still. I think I’m having some sort of panic attack, probably hormonal. Really rubbish today. Xx

The book really helped me to move towards positive thinking. It gets very complicated at the end with the metro map and how to figure out how to block your pathways for your type of cancer. I have a list of all the drugs and supplements that she used in the book in case you are interested. I am thinking of signing up with Care Oncology. I don’t think my oncologist will prescribe the supplements required. I am going to check with her though to see what she say and my GP before signing up with COC .

Mimi

Hi Mimi,

I will have to see what I think of the book at the end. I think I will sign up for the COC protocol and do as you do, by running it by my GP and oncologist. I have a feeling my GP will be more sympathetic. My oncologist is more "old school" and believes that conventional medicine alone is the answer, but it clearly isn't with metastatic cancer, otherwise we would also be cured along with the early stage patients.

Sophie x

Have you tried a naturopathic dr? I think they can help with supplements and Vit C IV? Are you currently taking any supplements?

I saw a naturopath in December, but decided not to see her again after being messed about a bit with cancellations and then being told to come back and see her in May, rather than this month, which was the original plan. She seemed very amateurish and not for me. She recommended Juice Plus, which I haven't taken (I plan to juice instead) and vegan omega 3 capsules (in place of cod liver oil, as I don't eat fish). My oncologist recommended Adcal D3 and I also take Montmorency cherry capsules each day. Other than that, I have my conventional treatment of Letrozole, Zoladex and Zometa.

Sophie

Stop you are making me tired. I am sitting here with this broken ankle. I can't jump up and paint the inside of my kitchen Cabinets that we're on my list.

I hope this ankle heals fast.🤗

Barbara

Oops! Sorry! I will pipe down. Get well soon. x

Hi Sophie,

I am all in for taking a more integrative approach to our health. Many of your suggestions are on my list as well! My oncologist offers a program called Steps to Wellness, I just finished making an appointment for an evaluation and will meet with a trainer next week. I am also planning to make an appointment for therapy, as I internalize everything and that is not healthy. I'm currently reading a book called Natural Remedies for Cancer, which is quite interesting.

xo Jade

Hi Jade,

That's great to hear that you are also looking into taking a more integrative approach to your health. I hope your course goes well. It sounds really interesting!

I hope your therapy session goes well too. I haven't had any counselling. I haven't felt the need for it so far, but I should reach out for it if I find that I need to talk to someone outside my family and circle of friends. The trouble is that I have been the matriarch in my family since my mum's death in 2004, so I have carried a lot on my shoulders since that time, solving people's problems and trying to fill my mum's shoes.

Sophie x

Oh Sophie! It's hard being the one that everyone depends on. It sounds like you have a good support system and you are taking care of yourself! Do you have brothers and sisters? Is your Dad still alive? How is your hubby coping with your dx?

I have just a handful of people who I can talk to about my dx and don't want to burden them, hence the therapy.

xo Jade

Hi Jade,

Yes, it is not always easy! I have some good friends and a supportive husband, so that really helps. My dad is still alive. Both of my brothers have learning disabilities and autism. My middle brother still lives with our dad three doors away and my oldest brother lives in an assisted living home. We moved him out of residential care just over a year ago and brought him back here to be near us. He lives just two miles away and we see him about once a week. My husband is coping well with the diagnosis. He is supportive and very positive.

I know what you mean about not wanting to burden others. No one in my circle of friends actually knows that the disease is metastatic. I just haven't been able to share that with anyone. So the only person I can talk to about it is my husband or on this site. I have dropped hints over the months and said I have a chronic illness and a few other things, but no one picked up on it, so I didn't feel I could come out with it and tell them everything.

Sophie x

Hi Sophie,

I admire you for being so strong! Losing your mum at a young age must have been and I'm sure it is still hard.

May I ask why you haven't shared you dx with your circle of friends? I have only told my family and a few dear friends (who don't live in my town). I haven't told anyone else as I live in a small community and don't want anyone to pity me.

xo Jade

Hi Jade,

Thank you!

When I was first diagnosed I had a very hard time talking about what was happening to me. I kept a lot to myself. I even went to my initial appointments (breast exam by my GP, mammogram, ultrasound and my first biopsy) alone because I didn't want to worry my husband. I didn't let on how I was feeling. The doctors told me it was early stage and curable, at which point I let people know. Then two months later I was told it was metastatic.

I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I just want to carry on with my life. It would be too much for my dad to handle, as it broke his heart when my mum died. He relies on me, and I don't want to let him down. So I made up my mind early on to do all I can to stick around for a very long time to come.

Sophie ❤

Jade I totally understand this. I actually have told even less than you. My hubby of course(honestly he's so supportive I feel he's all I need) and 2 former work friends is all that I have told. I have 2 older brothers who live far away and although we are close I can't seem to get up the nerve to tell them. I really also don't want the pity comments and I know that if I tell them and based on where they live (small town) they will tell everyone there and then I feel I will get phone calls all the time out of the blue from people. I just can't deal with that.

Sandra

Good morning, I love all the comments here because I feel the same way, about all the cancer drives and how they are making cures, well I would like to know what the statistics are for how many haven't been cured. Every time I turn around another friend has been diagnosed or they have passed away. I agree Pfizer has had to have made this of money, I think pharmaceutical companies and insurance run the medical. I have been turned down care because insurance deemed it "not medically necessary" who are they to make that decision. I think you folks in the UK are given better complimentary care than here in the US.

Again I am so thankful for finding this site and hearing all of your stories. I have a better grip on handling this dreaded disease. I felt so alone before but now I don't. God bless y'all and may your day today be filled with peace, love and harmony.

Robin xo

1 like

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the encouraging words. As a team, we all do pretty well I think!

I think that's awful being turned down for care because of it not being considered medically necessary. That just boggles the mind. I hope that you can find some complementary therapy in the States that is free of charge. You have to dig for it here; it isn't always advertised.

It's like the health clinic in my town. They do not make it known that they are available for blood tests, so many people from my town and the surrounding villages travel to the hospitals. It isn't far in terms of mileage, but the point is they could be having blood tests done right on their doorstep rather than making the extra journey. I was given a flyer with the days and times ages ago, but they refused to give me anymore when I asked recently! They said patients could call the clinic if they have any questions! But will they be motivated to do so if they don't know it's available? So what I plan to do is make my own copies and distribute them to the doctor's surgery, library and probably the hospital next time I go there. It isn't even mentioned on the blood test forms we are given that they can attend the clinic for blood tests, only the surrounding hospitals! The oncology nurses, my GP and my oncologist were also unaware of it!

I used to feel alone with this disease too, but don't anymore!

Have a good day!

Sophie x

What a great thread with all the replies and ideas. It is 8 in the morning in NY. I want to add my 2 cents to some of these replies, but am about to dash off a train. All these comments are so positive. Many I am doing so this reinforces me. I love it and thank you all of you for sharing! Faith

Hi Faith,

Have a good day at work! I agree that this is a positive thread. I like to be able to share ideas, thoughts and see what others are doing.

Sophie x

I agree with you Sophie! I also do a lot of holistic stuff and maybe that is the reason I do not have a lot of side effects from Verzenio and Faslodex that I’m on since June 2018!

The medicine we take is strong and harms our body, so far we all know this. Healthy organic food, juicing, exercise, vitamin iv therapy, acupuncture, coffee enema, teas, yoga, meditation, positive thinking and many more things I’m sure helping our immune system!

I know it's all expensive, it takes a lot of time but hey it's our life we are talking about and it’s time to put ourselves in front of everything else ❤️

1 like

Hi Sebina,

I agree that adding alternative therapies to our treatment plan can help. I have tried a few that you mentioned. I remember when I first met my oncologist and was about to start treatment. She said that hormone therapy is not as toxic as chemotherapy, but it certainly is harsh. I feel better than I thought I would from my treatment.

Sophie x

Yes this book is a must for every cancer patient. Thanks everyone for your feedback and continued support. I am in Rochester NY. The Breast Cancer Coalition is having a seminar on MBC on April 5th. I am signed up. Reenie

Hi Reenie,

Can you report back and let us know how you get on at the seminar? I attended a cancer forum last September and I was one of the youngest cancer patients there. I remember an older gentleman telling me it was encouraging to see me there, not that I had cancer, but to see different age groups represented.

Sophie x

I think you have everything covered 😂 you are such a positive person you just made my day.

I am so glad that you take advantage of what is out there for us, and I am now going to see what I can do for my self. My currant goal I told my kids is I am going to make my own decisions. If I want to buy a beach wave bob wig I am. Do not want to hear you already have three how manny do you need. Until someone needs to wear these shoes I don't want to hear it. What ever gets me through this journey. Feeling good about myself I am doing.

Keep moving forward Sophie we are going to be here along time. I love reading your posts. You are so young to go through this and you do not let it get you down.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

You are so kind! Thank you. I do have days where I get a bit down or annoyed at someone, but I don't let it stop me dead in my tracks. I carry on.

I'm not the type of person to just sit back and let things happen. I am happy that my condition has been stable since August, but I want more than that. I know that I can do more. We all can! Setting goals, even small ones, can make such a difference.

I agree that we are going to be here for a long, long time! So the idea of developing wrinkles and grey hair does not faze me. When I was first diagnosed, I spotted some elderly people in town and I wanted to burst into tears. I envied them their longevity. I wondered whether I would live into old age. But now I am determined to get there too.

Sophie x

I do rely on GOD as my advocate , and I am definitely the advocate runner up.This site is a Godsend, and there are so many amazing woman/warriors who have a wealth of knowledge. We have all experienced this roller coaster journey, and we most importantly give each emotional support. XoXoXo

It sounds like you are doing a lot already. I am trying to do the same things you are doing but I have also done a clean swap with all of my skin care, cosmetics, laundry products, kitchen products, etc. It's just another area for me where I feel like I am in control. It's not cheap but I tried to do things one at a time, so if I ran out of foundation I replaced it with a clean version. We have a cool store in LA which is about an hour from my house that sells amazing clean products. It's called Credo. Not sure if you have one in the UK. I am a skin care and cosmetics junkie so I have to be careful because I could drop a nice chunk of change each time I go there. I have also tried to buy as many organic things as I can. That also gets kind of pricey but I feel I am worth it.

I see a naturopath too and not sure how much longer I will keep going. I like her suggestions and have bought a lot of supplements that she has suggested. Some of her costs are covered by my insurance its just that I get sick of going to the doctor constantly. I think I am doing pretty well with my diet and improving my immune system.

Let me know what else you come up with.

Kim

Hi Kim,

You have certainly made a lot of changes! No, we don't have Credo in the UK. I am also switching to more natural toiletries and cleaning products. I don't just want to throw away what I already have, but to replace items as they run out. My favourite cleaning products are white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and I am using Nature Gate deodorant. I'm going shopping tomorrow after work with a friend, where we plan to visit a couple of health food shops.

I'm not planning to see my naturopath again. I saw her in December and then I booked a follow-up appointment for this month. Her receptionist called to cancel and rescheduled for May. I wasn't happy with that, and with how it seems she is half-hearted in her approach with customers. Whenever I wanted a certain day or time I was told she wasn't available. My first appointment got changed as it didn't suit her, until I finally got to meet her. She told me I was doing very well anyway, so I don't feel that she has anything else to offer me. I can order the vegan omega 3 supplements directly from the supplier (and receive a free bottle every time I buy two) and I don't take the Juice Plus tablets she recommended either. I started juicing yesterday and plan to continue.

Sophie ❤

I did the same thing. Replaced as I ran out. Unfortunately I am a skin care/cosmetics junkie so I have to be careful!!! 😊. I am not sure how many more visits I will have to the naturopath. I am following a lot of what she has suggested along with the supplements. I am taking th Juice + supplements. Wonder if all the naturopath s recommend them. She really would like me to have some Vitamin C infusions but they are expensive and not covered by insurance

Have fun shopping. I think it sounds like you are doing awesome!!

Hi Kim,

I'm more of a shoes and handbag kind of girl! But I am better than I was. I now throw out old shoes and handbags as they wear out, whereas before I found it hard to do so! My husband would sometimes call me Imelda Marcos! But to be honest, I'm more of a practical shopper these days. I buy things I need, rather than frivolous things.

I would be interested in trying vitamin C infusions too. I imagine I will have to go private for that, as I don't think the NHS covers it.

Sophie ❤

1 like

You may also like...